Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Moving On....

I saw my PCP and she said she'd rather have Neurology deal with my headache, so I have an appointment on Feb. 12.

On a lighter note, American Idol has begun their season and the auditions are as painful to watch as ever. I love it.

I can totally understand how people who sing really bad think they sound good to their own ear.

I'm the same way...or was. My step sister once told me I was a bad singer. I thought she was crazy until she pulled out her boom box, inserted a blank tape and recorded a song I chose to sing (I think it was The Rose by Bette Midler).

When we played it back, I couldn't believe I was able to hold a note...the one and only note I held while singing the entire song. It was then I realized I was tone deaf.

I guess I should've been clued in to how lousy I was when my neighbor came over to get his screwdriver back that my father borrowed. I was belting out songs from Side A of the Grease soundtrack when he came to the door.

I later found out he used the screwdriver as an excuse to come over to see if I was OK. He thought I was being raped.

Another time, during a beautiful summer Saturday, I was singing my heart out in the shower...with the window open. This time I was singing the Star Spangled Banner with vibrato no less.

I soon heard:

"SHANNON!!! SHANNON!!!!"

I looked out the window and saw my brother and his friends looking up to where I stuck my head out.

"SHANNON...SHUT THE FUCK UUUUP!!!!"

I was appalled, but soon thankful for when I looked to the side into our neighbor's yard, I saw a group of people looking toward the window laughing heartily. There was a BBQ going on and they could hear me!!

I still love to sing and sing out loud! I now make sure my windows are closed though.

12 Comments:

  • oy, I hope you figure out what's up with your head, but I just LOL at your singing. Do you ever just turn up the radio with the kids on board in the car and just belt it out?

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 1/17/2007 11:14 AM  

  • I hope I resolve my head issue too!

    Oh yeah, I belt it out in the car with the kids and they yell at me to SHUT UP!!

    It's frustrating to be stifled artistically, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/17/2007 11:16 AM  

  • Hope you are feeling better. Do you still have a headache?

    I watched American Idol last night too and yes it was painful! I got really embarrassed for the first girl that auditioned. I had to look away. But I still loved it.

    I had to laugh at your singing stories.. too cute.

    By Blogger Jenn, at 1/17/2007 11:18 AM  

  • I am proud to say that I've never watched American Idol. And I'm pissed because it pre-empted House last night.

    TCBIM can't carry a tune in a bucket, but he sings his heart out, too. It's painful but funny.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 1/17/2007 11:44 AM  

  • You're not alone. My dh is absolutely HORRIBLE at singing - yet he does it ALL THE TIME. We are forever yelling at him to shut up LOL. He sings in the shower and really lets 'er rip - I'm surprised our neighbours dogs don't start howling when he does that .......

    Fingers crossed that there's nothing wrong with your head (medically speaking) .... oh, doesn't that sound bad??? You know I love ya!

    Keep on singing lol - it's ok with me as long as I can't hear you :D

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/17/2007 2:21 PM  

  • Jenn, it died down, but started again when I was working out....grrrrr. I was embarrassed for everyone who sucked, LOL.

    Julia, I was pissed about House too. I love that show. I don't think it's really necessary for AI to be on for 2 hours especially when it's on twice a week.

    Jamie, I know I'm a little crazy :) I'll serenade you when I come up to visit, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/17/2007 3:17 PM  

  • lol!! The screwdriver request still has me laughing!!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 1/18/2007 9:44 AM  

  • I KNEW I knew you from somewhere other than the OC... You really are Scooter Girl from last season AI (or was it the season before that?), aren't you?!

    I'm a terrible singer and only do it in the privacy of my car. Hannah is old enough now that I can't even do it when she's in the car because she tells me to STOP!

    By Blogger Erica, at 1/18/2007 10:23 AM  

  • Btw... I hope to HELL you don't have to suffer with a headache until 2/12! That is nearly a month away... Did your pcp at least give you some good painkillers?

    By Blogger Erica, at 1/18/2007 10:25 AM  

  • Erica,

    I'm hell on wheels...the Scooter Girl on Vicodin (it's the only thing that helps the headache).

    So far my headache is about 99% gone, but I feel it just about to pop up.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/18/2007 12:54 PM  

  • hope you feel better soon. omg i watched american idol last night and i know why i dont normally watch it. SIMON is such a JERK for a better word and and there was not such talent last night during the first hour

    By Blogger Laura, at 1/18/2007 12:57 PM  

  • Thanks Laura :)

    I hate to say it (and now I'm quite ashamed), but I did find it funny when he called the one guy a bush baby.

    The auditions get kind of tedious, but the show gets really good when it's down to the final 10 singers.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/18/2007 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home