Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Outsmarted By A 6 Year Old

Math was never my strong suit. It simply bores me...to death. It doesn't help that my son has a condition that requires strong math skills in order to count carbs, calculate ratios, etc.

This morning I figured his breakfast carb count in my head:

24+13+13=60

Brendon wants to figure it out too, so I wait for him to finish calculating (in his head mind you) and he comes up with 50.

Now, as the adult, it would've been reasonable for me to think that I'm right and he's wrong. But knowing how lousy I am with math, and how good he is, I trust his answer more than mine and recalculate to find that he was correct.

Yeah, I think I should stick to relying on my handy dandy calculator instead of using my math deficient brain.

6 Comments:

  • Hopefully before long, he'll be doing that math in his head on a regular basis so there won't be a need for a calculator ;).

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 1/09/2007 7:50 AM  

  • Yikes! Hopefully he'll become a math whiz and you won't have to worry about it.

    By Blogger Erica, at 1/09/2007 9:02 AM  

  • I think that is so cool that he is calculating too.

    I've always hated math - I've often wondered if it's not because it's forced on me so much with the diabetes...??

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 1/09/2007 10:00 AM  

  • Brendon LOVES math. He does his homework coming home on the bus because he can't wait to get his hands on it.

    Hopefully that will carry through and HAVING to do it for his diabetes won't spoil it.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/09/2007 10:05 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Allison, at 1/09/2007 9:53 PM  

  • I have you beat:

    One time I was playing Monopoloy and I rolled a 5 and a 2 and said, "Woohoo! 8!"

    Please note that these are single digits.

    By Blogger Allison, at 1/09/2007 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home