Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Resolutions

Now that the big-food/gift-giving holidays are over, it's time to start making resolutions that gets my daily life and health into top shape.

My resolutions so far include everything from the mundane to the important (the order does not indicate importance):

1. Make my bed daily.
2. Work out at least 3 x's per week come hell or high water.
3. Eat healthy most days of the week.
4. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
5. Try to make a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
6. Get Jacob completely potty trained including keeping him dry overnight.
7. Get even more on top of Brendon's numbers and get his A1C under a 7.0.
8. Develop my writing and make a concerted effort to get freelance work.
9. Finish reading all of the books I've bought and started.
10. Train and compete in a triathlon!!

I took a deep breath and jumped when I typed #10 because now it's public. It's a tall order, but it's something I feel I need to do in order to break out of my "safe shell" that I hide in. I was always competitive when I was younger and I really miss pushing my body and being in shape. I was a tomboy and I loved being a tomboy.

This resolution is probably the most important because more often than not, I make up my mind that I can't accomplish something before I even attempt it. So #10 is really a resolution to attempt something and complete something that I would otherwise convince myself was too difficult for me.

My plan is to talk to my personal trainer to see if he can give me training tips, or at least know someone who he can refer me to. And then the next part is to find a competition. And then train for it. And lastly, compete.

It's something I've thought of for the past couple of years and now it's high time I do something about it.

I'll be 36 in February and I hate the thought of wasting time. 40 is just around the corner and I don't want to look back and wish I did something back when it was a bit easier to do.

No offense to those who are 40+, hee, hee.

7 Comments:

  • Hey Shannon!

    I think that sounds like a great list of resolutions - and way to go for stepping out of your safe shell!

    I'm sure you'll do great in your triathalon - and it sounds like you have a good list of starting points to get going with it.

    You can do it!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 12/27/2006 11:21 AM  

  • Thanks Scott!! I'm trying not to let this be one of those things I get excited about and then dump later when my motivation fizzles.

    I'm determined to at least finish even if I come in last!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/27/2006 11:37 AM  

  • I think that #10 is definitely do-able for you! I've often thought that I should get my ass in gear to go in the local marathon for the Y - even if it's just a measley 5K - who cares?? My mom did her first marathon when she was 54 years old. Hell, if a 54 yr old can do it, why can't I?? After all the oinking I've done the past few days, I'm quite disgusted in myself. I'm feeling the motivation to turn things around for myself - now, if that motivation can just STICK with me ...

    Best of luck with the training for the triathalon - YOU GO GIRL!!!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 12/27/2006 11:52 AM  

  • Shannon, I'm with you. Before I got pregnant, I thought, "I would like to compete in a mini-triathlon before I'm 40."

    I figure I'll be 37 when the kid arrives (knock wood), and it'll take a year to lose the baby weight. Why not work toward a mini-triathlon if I can?

    There's one mini-t I've heard of that's all women, and that they have someone run even slower than the last entrant so that if that slow person happens to be me, or you, there's someone else who will finish even after you or I do.

    Good luck--you can totally do it. Are you thinking a full or mini-triathlon?

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 12/27/2006 1:40 PM  

  • What a great list of resolutions! I'm cracking up that #1 was actually #1 on your list... Not that it was in any order but for it to top the list, it must be weighing on your mind!

    I say go for #10!! I can't wait for life to get to the point where I can actually carve out some time to work out. I really miss it...

    How old is Jacob btw? I'm feeling like the most unfit mother since H is 3 and 3 mos and still isn't potty trained - ZERO interest.

    hmm my word verif is smufqag and I keep reading it as smurf gag

    By Blogger Erica, at 12/27/2006 2:00 PM  

  • Shannon, I can't even imagine doing #10 but you I can see accomplishing it. You are awesome and please know you will have a cheering section if you need to keep up your motivation. =)

    By Blogger Vivian, at 12/27/2006 5:04 PM  

  • Lyrehca,

    I was going to train for a full, but maybe go for a sprint to start. I figured why not start big and see how it goes.

    Erica,

    LOL!! #1 was no accident! I feel like even if a bomb blew up in my room and the bed is made, then it looks that much neater. Jacob is 3 1/2, so it's time. Brendon was that age and I figured Jacob has been on and off the pot for months so I know he knows how to deal with it.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/27/2006 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home