Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Am Not A Maple Tree--I Am A Human Being

You'll understand the play on words in the title (ref. The Elephant Man) once I get through with the story.

On Wednesday I was working out at the gym and had completed a set of pullups. Once I finished, it felt like someone had shot me in the back of the head. The pain traveled through the side of my head and planted itself there. I assumed it was the start of a migraine so I left the gym to take some Advil.

It started fading but never really went away. At around 5 a.m. that morning, the headache woke me up only this time it was sitting on my skull like a heavy cap. Advil eased the pain, but like the day before, the headache never went away. It was eased enough for me to get through the day, and I actually ran for 1/2 hour on the treadmill without it flaring up.

I was a little bothered that it hadn't gone away by Friday because my migraines usually fade the next day and completely disappear before day 3.

I did my usual workout with my jackass trainer (see "Grrrr" story below), but when I did the pullups, my headache exploded to the point where I couldn't move my head from side to side. My neck was so damned stiff.

I finally called my doctor on Saturday figuring I could get an appt with the critical care unit (it's basically where they send patients who need off-hour appointments and really has nothing to do with the severity of the problem).

A nurse called me back and asked what my symptoms were. I described the characteristics of my headache and she said all indications told her to tell me to go immediately to the ER.

Jeff and I packed up the kids and off we went.

I was seen by an orderly who took my blood pressure. It was 155/103, so he took it on the other arm and it read about the same.

A nurse finally saw me to take down my symptoms. When she saw my BP reading, she asked if I had a history of high BP, and I said no. She figured it was because I was in pain from the headache. She took it one more time and it was still high.

She wanted me to see an ER doctor instead of a Physician's assistant, so they had me wait in the triage unit until a doc could see me.

The ER doc came in and I once again told him how my headache started and what it felt like. He asked if I'd ever had migraines and I said yes, but that this one actually started differently than my others and it was lasting much longer.

He said I bought myself a CT scan which has a 98% rate of detecting an aneurysm and bleeding. He felt that I had all indications of a ruptured aneurysm. He said if it came out negative and he felt good about my condition after that, then he'd avoid doing a lumbar puncture (spinal tap). If I had a ruptured aneurysm, then blood would show up in my spinal fluid.

I was waiting some more for the CT room to open up and the doc later came back to tell me that he kept thinking about me and that he wanted to go ahead and do the spinal tap even if the CT scan showed nothing. He was nervous about me being in the other 2%. I said that so was I!! He said even though I was only 35 yrs old, he was exceptionally bothered by the fact that I've had migraines before and I wasn't the type of person to come in to the ER or my doctor everytime I had an episode looking for a worse problem. That and the fact that this is different than my normal migraines definitely got his attention.

The CT scan detected nothing, so I was set up for the spinal tap.

The ER doc said he'd feel better having the PA do it since he's done hundreds of them and the doc only does a couple per week.

The PA, a nurse, and a student doc came in to do the procedure. The PA inserted the needle between my vertebrae, but kept hitting bone (which by the way hurts like a mofo) and I kept yelling out mainly because of reflex in addition to the pain. The second attempt wasn't successful either so they brought me up to x-ray so that they could see my spine.

Aside from the pain, it was actually pretty cool that they could see my spine on a screen and pick the area where they needed to tap.

They inserted the needle, and because they needed gravity to draw out spinal fluid, they tilted the table so that I was more vertical. Here's where I felt like a Maple tree being tapped for syrup.

Ten minutes later, they had 4 vials of fluid and said they'd have results soon after.

That thankfully came back with no blood (since they couldn't see it visually, they sent it to the lab to look microscopically).

There's no explanation for the headache I had although I'm hoping the high BP was indeed because of my discomfort and that the headache wasn't cause by chronic high BP which runs rampant on my mom's side of the family.

So, I'll be calling my PCP on Monday to schedule an appointment for a full blood workup and a stress test.

I now have to sit up to sleep to avoid a spinal tap headache. I have one more night to sleep in the easy chair in the family room.

What a joyous weekend.

12 Comments:

  • Shannon, what a horrible experience, but i am glad you are okay; Scary stuff!! Headaches with high blood pressure...the spinal tap sounded awful, ouch!How are you feeling now? I hope better? My thoughts are with you!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 1/14/2007 3:40 PM  

  • I'm fine now. I went in with a headache and came out with a backache....needles hitting bone makes for a very sore back.

    I hope I just had an out of whack migraine and that it's not high BP.

    The ER doc said if I experience the same kind of headache in the next week or two or even in a couple of months, then to come back because it may indicate a slow bleed that has built up.

    I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but at least it's nothing urgent.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/14/2007 4:20 PM  

  • Good grief! How scary. I hope it was just a really bad headache. Keep us posted, ok?

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 1/14/2007 7:01 PM  

  • Good God, Shannon. I hope you're feeling better today. Keep us up to date, Maple Lady.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2007 9:10 PM  

  • Scary! Glad to hear that you are Ok!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 1/14/2007 9:47 PM  

  • I hope you feel better soon and that it is just a fluke thing!

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 1/14/2007 10:39 PM  

  • Holy crap Shannon! What a shitty weekend you've had :(

    Thank goodness that you're keeping on top of it and I'm glad they were so thorough in the E.R. (even though it meant needles hitting bone - YEEOUCH!).

    Keep us updated on how things go. I'll be thinking of ya!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/14/2007 10:46 PM  

  • Please take care of yourself. That was scary enough to read much less what it must have felt like to go through it. Big Hugs and I hope it is all over and was just one of those things.

    By Blogger Vivian, at 1/14/2007 11:16 PM  

  • Oh Shanon, this sounds HORRIBLE. My knees turned to jello! You were one smart chick to follow your instinct and contact your doc about the weird headache. Pls take care, and keep us informed!

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 1/15/2007 2:01 AM  

  • Jeez--hope you're OK!

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 1/15/2007 5:19 AM  

  • SCARY!!!!

    I hope you're feeling better.

    By Blogger art-sweet, at 1/15/2007 10:53 AM  

  • Holy shit, Shannon.

    I hope you're feeling somewhat more human today, and less like a tree.

    Thinking of you.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 1/16/2007 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home