Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, January 29, 2007

I Be Illin'

I'm feeling nervous. There's no way anyone can talk to me and make me feel better, so hopefully writing about it will help. Usually when I'm confronted with something new, I feel especially nervous and anxious until it happens. Once it happens, I feel a great relief because it's usually not as bad as I thought, and if it happens again, I'm better for it because I know what to expect.

Anyway, back in May, the kids and I were in a car accident. I was driving through an intersection when an oncoming car making a left turn neglected to yield right of way and hit me. None of us were hurt and the minivan just suffered a dent that we had fixed, but now I have to go to court on Wednesday to testify.

When the accident happened, the girl took off...she left the scene of the accident. An off-duty cop or fireman (forgot the occupation of the guy) gave chase because he didn't want her getting away. He chased her down a dead end street and kept her trapped until the police came.

In the meantime I had given my statement to the officer who came to the scene. Employees from the McDonalds on the corner of the intersection gave statements as witnesses. The officer later came to my house to take pictures of the damage done to my van. The second officer who dealt with the girl said to come to the police station to have pictures and measurements taken of her vehicle, but she never showed up and there was a warrant put out for her arrest.

Back in September I believe (not sure when) we received a call saying that the girl was arrested and to send in any receipts from the accident for money we paid out of pocket for the damages and the rental we had while the van was being repaired.

So now the day is about to come when I have to go into court about this. I'm afraid the defense attorney will brow beat me or badger me and I'll break down and plead mercy from the court.

I know I'm overreacting, but it helps to think the worst and get it out of my system.

14 Comments:

  • Ack! Good luck - I'd be nervous too - but I'm sure it will be fine. I stress the same way about stuff. At least this is in YOUR favor, and you weren't the hit-n-runner...

    By Blogger Erica, at 1/29/2007 11:21 AM  

  • Can you imagine if I was the defendant!! I'd be institutionalized for a severe nervous breakdown.

    That's why I've always been a goody two shoes...it's too much pressure for me to deal with authority.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/29/2007 11:29 AM  

  • From what you're saying, it sounds like you were not at fault. The girl running away from the scene *really* makes it sound like you were just an innocent bystander, as it were.

    I had to give a deposition where I was at fault in a car accident, and honestly, it went fine. It was just stating exactly what happened. Stick with the facts and I think you'll be OK.

    Good luck! At least your blood sugars aren't being affected by it!

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 1/29/2007 11:43 AM  

  • LOL, at least I don't have to worry about my blood sugars. Yeah, it's totally her fault, but she's denying that she hit me. Nevermind that there were 1/2 dozen witnesses and she was chased down by a off-duty cop/fireman.

    She's just being an ass and causing a headache for everyone.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/29/2007 11:46 AM  

  • OMG!! I would be a nervous reck too. I too am a goody two shoes. I get nervous when I am at the mall and mall security is around and all i am doing is eating my lunch in the food court!!

    Everything will be fine.. you will wonder why you were so worried for nothing when it is all said and done!!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 1/29/2007 1:07 PM  

  • LMAO....I get that way around security too. When I'm in a store, I try to look as unsuspicious as possible (I NEVER keep my hands in my coat pockets...)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/29/2007 1:14 PM  

  • I would be freaking out too but the nice thing to know is that She was in the wrong both in causing the accident and leaving!

    By Blogger George, at 1/29/2007 5:50 PM  

  • LOL - I thought I was the only one who did the hands in the pocket thing lol.

    Good luck with it. Try not to get all upset about it - you aren't at fault here (she's being a bitch!).

    Let us know how it goes.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/29/2007 5:53 PM  

  • Shannon-

    You are gonna do great.

    I just know it.

    (Though I completely understand why you're stressed-- anticipating a confrontation is just nerve-wracking.)

    Let us know what happens.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 1/29/2007 6:54 PM  

  • Good luck and try to think positive.

    Remember that this girl could have done much worse, much much worse.

    (Sorry, this week is the third anniversary of our friend's death in a hit-and-run accident, so this subject is really tender - one of Greg's college friends, actually.)

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 1/29/2007 8:23 PM  

  • Yeah, that does bring to mind tv courtroom scenes - you'll be fine.

    By Blogger Minnesota Nice, at 1/30/2007 8:52 AM  

  • Shannon - I had to give a deposition a few years back - it was very scary but I was far more nervous than was necessary. (I'm emailing you the details because it's way to weird to post on the blog).

    You'll do great. Don't worry about a thing. :)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 1/30/2007 9:31 AM  

  • Are you watching old Perry Mason reruns to prepare? LOL I hope you find a place of calmness when it is all said and done. Good Luck.

    By Blogger Vivian, at 1/30/2007 12:23 PM  

  • Hey you!
    No reason not to be nervous. I know for a fact judges and lawers get nervous about it too. Denise is in court quite often and she is a wreck the night before but after she is done and home it was all worth it and not as hard as first thought. Being nervous can work to your advantage too.
    I used to work undercover as a P.I and i would get a kick out of making moms like jen and jaimie all nervous by watching thier every move but letting them know i was watching...;)

    By Blogger Chris, at 1/30/2007 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home