Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Love Is A Many Splenda Thing

Thank you to those of you who stuck through my last post to the end, overcame your offense to my crude f-bomb littered rant and still took the time to sympathize and comment. I truely feel the love ;)

Today I plan to take the kiddies strawberry picking. I took them a couple of times in the past and they loved it. It's ideal for Jess and Jake because they're low to the ground and can take on all the labor, but it's especially ideal for Brendon. It's just enough activity to bring down his blood sugars, and the red juicy treats have just enough carbs to keep him from dropping, but not so high that I have to keep track of what he eats as he picks.

His numbers have been wicked high over the past couple of weeks. I thought I had done lousy jobs on infusion set changes. Jeff, who usually does the set changes, has been working all night and sleeping all day, so I'd taken on the responsibility and thought I was doing a poor job at it. But then I had Jeff keep his eyes pried open one morning when he came home from work so that he could change a set, and low and behold, Bren's numbers were still crappy.

They haven't been lower than a 250 throughout the day. They've been as high as 405 (yesterday). I'm HOPING it's a combination of a growth spurt and the seasonal change. The insulin is good, the pump is working fine. The sites are good too. We've also cranked up his basal rates. He's pretty resistant all day until around 8 p.m. every night when he drops really low. Yeah, something is going on with that body of his. We (HE) needs to just ride it out while Jeff and I load him with insulin to keep the highs at bay.


Back to strawberry picking:

Brendon wanted to make flags to commemorate the 4th O' July, so I suggested that we make a flag cake using the strawberries along with some blueberries to create Old Glory. Jakey wanted to make cupcakes, so I suggested we make them decorated with sprinkles to replicate fireworks! Because of Bren's highs, I'll make everything with Splenda so that he can eat without having those spikes carry him even higher.

How domesticated can we get? Maybe I'll buy sparklers at the huge gigantic firework warehouse down the street from us. Granite Staters LOVE their fireworks for sure. We have a virtual firework display right in our house and tree laden neighborhood. People literally have their hoses primed in case something catches aflame.

Oh, it will be good times tomorrow for sure.

5 Comments:

  • I am sorry that you are having a rough time with Brendon number. THERE IS SO MUCH WE REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WITH THIS DISEASE. Yeah, try and ride out the bad times but I know it is hard on all concerned. Have fun berry picking and have a nice July 4th!

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 7/03/2007 7:38 AM  

  • How frustrating to not know why. Because it is a diease the answers aren't always there...You are doing an excellent job keeping on top of it all, and that is why Brendon is doing so well. regardless of the count. I hope you find the answer and that Brendon's energy pick up.

    Can I come over for a piece of that cake?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/03/2007 8:25 AM  

  • Man. Those numbers, Shannon. Irritating. Mine have been doing the same thing lately - with basal rates cranked way up. As you know, it is eating at me. :(

    Do have a good time today - let them eat cake!!!

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 7/03/2007 10:17 AM  

  • Enjoy those fucking strawberries.

    I'm once again a little late. I Hope things are better today. Damn those high blood sugars! Damn them!

    By Blogger Carey, at 7/03/2007 11:35 AM  

  • Carey,

    Thanks a fucking lot!! I'm actually back to find another place for picking. The first place I went to was an old creepy Texas Chainsaw kind of house with a glorified garden. I'll write all about it. I even took a picture because I'm a nerdy blogger like that.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 7/03/2007 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home