Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Not Only Did I Complete The Triathlon, But I Didn't Come In Last!

I achieved my two biggest goals. And now I'll train smart so that I can beat my time next year when I do this again.

My unoffical time is about 2:10 or so (give or take). As soon as I find out my official time I'll post it.

The group of 200 people were broken up into 4 waves. I was in wave 3 and Jeff was in wave 2. The swim was brutal due to the high winds causing the lake to have white cap waves. I swallowed so much water and panicked at the beginning because the buoys and beach seemed so far away and the wind was against us on the way out.

Luckily the water was warmer at 72 degrees than the air which I'm estimating to have been in the upper 50's. I basically did the backstroke about 97% of the time. Toward the end of the swim, a woman gained on me. She wasn't paying attention to where she was going and was practically on top of me (at one point she actually was). I thought she'd move, but didn't, so I got extremely pissed and just stuck to my course not caring if I whacked her. I figured if she wasn't going to move, why should I. We smacked each other several times but I stood my ground, and she passed me anyway.

A few men had to be rescued and another even threw up in the water because he swallowed so much water. I'm amazed that I was able to complete that swim. I honestly was getting pretty scared, but the backstroke got me through! I saw Jeff standing in the transition area when I reached shore and thought he was waiting for me. He said he didn't finish the swim because his arm cramped up and had the life guards bring him to shore. He never completed the rest of the race.

I got through the bike portion easier than I thought especially with the mile high hill at the end into the transition. I didn't get off my bike at all which was the best I could hope for. During the beginning of the ride, I saw a woman on her bike wobbling and weaving all over the road. Rules state you can't help another participant, so I couldn't ask if she was OK.

I passed her and was secretly happy I was able to pass someone even if she looked like she was in trouble. Around mile 4 or so, I heard squeaking coming up behind me and a woman on an old rickety bike passed me!! What am I doing wrong, I thought to myself. And then the Weeble Wobble woman passed me too!! Oh no...I did all I could to catch up to Squeaks and Weebs, but I just couldn't catch them. So I just enjoyed the scenery instead of worrying about where I was placed in the race.

I started crying in the middle of the bike ride because it hit me then that I was actually in the middle of a triathlon. I was actually doing this thing. I was very emotional.

When I reached the transition area, I saw everyone cheering for me...my family, strangers, racers saying "GO 149!!!! YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!! KEEP GOING 149!!!!" and I started crying again.

I walked thru part (most) of the run, but was taken under the wing of a couple who I was keeping pace with. The husband had already finished, but was accompanying his wife and so he coached his wife and me. We did a walk/run and he encouraged us to run to the finish line....we at least had to LOOK the part.

Man oh man, no wonder why people get addicted to this sport. I hope I never get jaded after completing more tri's. I'm on such a high right now and I want it to not only last for as long as possible, but to return after I've completed each and every race I do from here on out!

We had to swim to the right of the buoys. The water was choppy and up over our faces.



Transition area where we started and ended each leg of the race.


A picture of me finishing to come when I get a copy.

17 Comments:

  • Without a doubt you are a hero to many on this OC. Especially with your family.

    Way to go shannon!!! Inspiring for sure.

    By Blogger Chris, at 6/23/2007 2:34 PM  

  • Woo-HOOOO!!!

    (Too bad Jeff didn't finish, though)

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 6/23/2007 3:20 PM  

  • Way to go, Shannon! Congrats!

    By Blogger Annie, at 6/23/2007 3:29 PM  

  • Awesome! I can't tell you how much I admire you right now.

    Congratulations!

    By Blogger Caro, at 6/23/2007 4:09 PM  

  • Shannon - I am sooooo proud of you. You are my hero for today. :) xo - Nicole

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 6/23/2007 10:30 PM  

  • Congrats!

    By Blogger caramaena, at 6/24/2007 4:09 AM  

  • Thanks everyone!!!!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 6/24/2007 8:04 AM  

  • Hooray for Shannon! Was pulling for you mentally yesterday!!

    Glad to see you made it. :)

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 6/24/2007 10:24 AM  

  • WAY TO GO SHANNON!!! AS I was reading i was getting a bit choked up. I am so proud of you!!

    You ROCK!!!!!!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 6/24/2007 5:43 PM  

  • Shannon,
    I wanted to stop by and say "hi" and thank you for the wonderful comments on my blog. I never thought I would be talking to a full-fledged tiathlete!! That's an amazing achievement. I am a gym and workout newbie (literally 3 week in) and just in awe of anyone who can be that dedicated.

    Our boys are so close in age, and your beach is my beach!! Actually, we go to Seabrook alot, my family has a house there (woo hoo free parking). We could get the kids together and have a beach day if you'd like. I swear I'm not a crazy internet stalker or anything, LOL
    Noah doesn't really know anyone his age with diabetes.

    By Blogger Lea, at 6/24/2007 10:33 PM  

  • YAY, Shannon!!! I'm so proud of you. And can I just chuckle a little that Jeff didn't finish? Just a little?

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 6/24/2007 11:38 PM  

  • Lea,

    That's how I started out!

    And I left you my email address in one of my comments so that you could contact me because I was hoping we could get the boys together. Contact me and we'll definitely hook up...I'm not a crazed stalker either, LOL.

    Julia,

    EVERYONE is chuckling at that fact. His boss is elated and so is his brother. Brendon came up to me at the end and said "Mom, you BEAT dad!" and I said "Yes I did and make sure you brag about that to EVERYONE!"

    By Blogger Shannon, at 6/25/2007 7:24 AM  

  • Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment. You can absolutely do anything you set your mind to and you proved it in a big way. Hip Hip Hooray!!!

    By Blogger Vivian, at 6/25/2007 10:33 AM  

  • YAY! I am so proud of you!!! :-) Can't wait to see the finish line pictures.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 6/25/2007 11:42 AM  

  • My Hero! Brava! Congratulations! You did it! I am proud of you. I actually started to cry happy tears for you!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2007 5:33 PM  

  • YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm on holidays, but had to check in to see how you did (hows that for addiction??? Yeah, I've got problems.)

    I'm so proud of you!!!!

    See ya online next week :D

    By Blogger Jamie, at 6/26/2007 6:19 PM  

  • Shannon,

    This gave me goosebumps.

    I'm so proud of you. I'm beaming over here.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 6/30/2007 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home