Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Caught A Tiny Glimpse.....

Aside from taking diabetes from Brendon and putting it into my own body so that he can live carefree...and healthy, I want to get inside that head of his to see how he perceives and understands diabetes. I want to know what it's like for him.

What are his fears?
Does he loath it?
Is he nonchalant about it?
Does he understand the gravity of his condition?

Sometimes I'm able to catch a little glimpse of what he's thinking about. Somtimes a little window appears and I'm able to see what's inside:


While I was out doing some late night grocery shopping a couple of days ago, my cousin called. He calls once in a blue moon to talk to me, but instead he spoke to Jeff, ironically as Jeff was in the middle of changing Brendon's infusion set. Jeff asked him how he was doing now that he's not Type 1 anymore....how were the kidney and pancreas transplants working for him. He couldn't be better he informed Jeff.

After Jeff got off the phone, he told Brendon he was talking to mommy's cousin and how he doesn't have diabetes anymore because of the transplants.

Brendon said he was lucky he didn't have to get insulin anymore. He said he wished he didn't have to get the shots or infusion sets anymore either.

Jeff told him even though he has to get insulin, he can still do things better than a lot of the other kids he knows. Like he can play baseball really well, he's really smart.

Jeff pointed out that mommy's cousin may not have to get insulin anymore, but he has to walk with a cane, and he can't see.

Jeff asked Brendon that even with him having diabetes, is there anything he can't do that other kids can?

Brendon sat and thought about it as tears welled up in his eyes and then said at least other kids don't have to get dosed. But Jeff then told him that he can still do things better than most other kids he knows and that diabetes hasn't stopped him from doing anything that they can do. And that he and mom wouldn't let him get to the condition that mommy's cousin got to.

Brendon was satisfied with that answer and seemed to relax.

When Jeff told me this story, it wasn't the conversation between him and Brendon that appeared as the window and allowed me to see what was inside that brilliant mind of his.

It was those tears that welled up in Brendon's eyes.

8 Comments:

  • Aw Shannon. He understands. He may not talk about it, but he knows what he has and it sounds like he knows what it's all about.

    He is a brilliant boy. But with you two for parents, he is going to lead a healthy and happy life. But like any kid - he has worries. You two are guiding him in the right direction though - you are giving him the strength to deal with this as he grows up.

    Big hugs to all of you - you're all doing great!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 6/20/2007 11:48 AM  

  • Shannon -

    Man. Can I have double diabetes and then it'll leave Superman alone? Probably not, huh?

    You guys are doing a great job - giving him just the confidence and love that he needs to be well with this disease.

    Sending you my best thoughts...

    ox, N

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 6/20/2007 3:27 PM  

  • Great post Shannon - very touching and well put.

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 6/20/2007 3:32 PM  

  • Tears welled for me too, when I read this. *hugs* to you all.

    By Blogger caramaena, at 6/20/2007 11:46 PM  

  • Ugh. I hate these kinds of conversations because they leave my heart stomped on. On the one hand, I'm eager to know how my kid feels, but on the other hand, how I wish I didn't have to know. Because the knowing kills me.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 6/21/2007 1:21 AM  

  • Oh Shannon...this made me cry.
    My prayers hold you and your family daily.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2007 4:16 AM  

  • Shannon, that's a wonderful story. My heart goes out to Brendon. There are lots of worse things than diabetes, but it's still a lousy disease to have -- especially as a child.

    By Blogger Bernard, at 6/21/2007 7:52 AM  

  • And, I have tears welling up in my eyes right now.

    Ughh. I really, really hate this disease and what it does to our kids.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 6/21/2007 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home