Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Easter Dealer

Jessica: Does Easter candy make you high or low?

Me: It makes you high.

Jessica: Ooh! You wanna get high with me?


We actually had a very nice Easter this year. This morning the kids found that the Easter Bunny had eaten the eggs we decorated as well as the big ol' carrot we left on the fireplace mantel. In return, EB left behind baskets filled with a bit of candy and a lot of fishing gear that the the kids had been asking for all year.

Jessica looked out the window and insisted that the prints in the snow were those made by the Easter Bunny.

Brendon handled the candy well. Although, first thing in the morning, he did eat a packet without dosing himself, so he started out the morning at 300, but with a correction and a decent breakfast of some eggs and waffles, he wound up at a very nice 124 at lunch time.

For lunch, we headed up to Hampton Beach for our annual Easter lunch/beach outing. Brendon asked Jeff if this was a tradition, and he agreed that it was indeed a tradition.

Once we made it to our usual restaurant (Fantini's), we found that it was closed for renovations. We were a little bummed just because we wanted everything to be just so. You know, when you have a tradition, you hate to bust it up. But, we headed upcoast to another restaurant in Rye called Saunders at Rye Harbor. The tradition was a bit unlike the previous three years, but I think we'll make this restaurant our new annual stop.

Jeff and I had lobster stew served in crusty-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside-bread boules. Can I just say how incredibly delicious it was!! I also had butter crusted brie with a raspberry jam on the side served with crackers and grapes. Holy smokes was it good!

One small thing was that we needed a reservation since it was Easter afterall, but the restaurant accomodated us by seating our ragamuffin family in the back where the bar is located (we were dressed for winter on the beach, not lunch time with the toodleloos). Two very well dressed couples were seated at tables on either side of us and while the kids were switching seats, handing me knives, and needing to check out the bathrooms, they watched on and smiled and commented on what beautiful children we had. WHAT!!!??? So, while Jeff and I were cringing and shout-whispering at the kids to "be quiet and stay seated and be polite and stop playing with the salt and take the napkin off your head" they thought our kids were so charming.

I ordered Limona Corona as my lunchtime beverage. They pour Limon Absolut into the neck of the Corona bottle. When the waitress served it, it came with a lime stuck in the hole of the neck. As habit would dictate, I shoved the lime, ever so gently, into the neck of the bottle, thereby causing the liquid to go nowhere but up and out....spraying all over the table, and Brendon and me. "Mom, you just sprayed me with your alcohol!" "Sorry there Bren. Mommy didn't mean it....it was an accident" Mommy takes big long swig of Limona Corona.

As I took a swig of my Limona Corona, and proceeded to turn red hot because I was wearing fleece and the Absolut hit me like a Mac truck due to my empty stomach, one couple started chatting us up and told us to enjoy them while we could because when they became teenagers...forget about it. They commented on what a mankiller my 5 yr old Jessica was and to watch out when she got older. On and on they went about their own daughters and how they loved their horses and how one of the girls (who is 17 yrs old) joined the Marines and has a part time job assisting the police department on liquor stings. She goes into stores and tries to buy liquor. If the shop owner sells it to her, police swarm and arrest the guy.

I was thinking: "wow, when I was 17, me and my big hair and my big haired friends were headed down the shore to Seaside Heights to pick up guys and then we'd scrounge around the car floor looking for change to buy gas to get us back home."

That conversation bought us time before the food came out to keep the kids quiet because they were listening in on the conversation.

After our very nice lunch, we drove up and down the coast, finally stopping at a spot for Jeff and Brendon to play some catch with the football, while Jess, Jake and I combed the beach looking for shells.

I couldn't have asked for a better Easter this year :)

6 Comments:

  • That reminds me of one of the first blogs of Careys i ever read.
    Lets hope the getting high talk doenst go any further than chocolate and blood sugars.
    Happy Easter

    By Blogger Chris, at 4/08/2007 10:32 AM  

  • Happy Easter to you and your family! Here is wishing you a basket full of love and happines!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/08/2007 5:16 PM  

  • Sounds perfect!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 4/08/2007 9:11 PM  

  • That reminds me that one year the EB brought our kids fishing gear as well. Those other gifts really help keep some of the candy in check.

    It must have been freezing on the beach. I thought it was cold here today and your at least 500 miles north of us... brrrr. Glad you had a great Easter.

    By Blogger Keith, at 4/08/2007 11:30 PM  

  • That sounds like a perfect day!

    Happy belated Easter!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 4/09/2007 9:15 AM  

  • ps

    I cannot wait to get HIGH with You!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2007 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home