Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Bracelet

Brendon made the bracelet for Ashley and this morning we made sure it was in his backpack. I wish I had taken a pic of it because when blogging, pictures are always a great accompaniment to a short story.

As he got on the bus, I felt like he was on his way to the most important day of his school life. It was a day that would make or break his heart for the first time.

When he got home, stripped himself of wet snowpants and boots, got himself settled in the playroom with a mug of hot chocolate, I asked if he gave the bracelet to Ashley.

"No, I didn't give it to her. I gave it to someone else to give to her."

Ah! The School Of Love 101: Never, ever give someone a note or token of affection directly. Always give it to a buddy to give to the girl.

"So do you know if she liked it?"

"Well, when I saw her in the lunch room she was smiling a lot. And she waved to me."

"Was she wearing it?"

"I saw her trying to put it on. I'll ask her tomorrow if she liked it."

My little man is growing up and shit if my PMS has to coincide with this landmark achievement in Brendon's 2nd grade love life. I'm getting teary eyed writing this.

Tomorrow when he gets home from school and after he strips himself of his wet snowpants and boots and settles down with another mug of hot chocolate, I'll ask him:

"Did you ask her if she liked the bracelet?"

I love some good school gossip.

11 Comments:

  • How was all of this going on in 2nd grade, and I was completely unaware? Last night my sister and I were watching tv, we saw an eHarmony commercial, turned and said, "Brendon" to each other.
    Keep us updated on Brendon's love life!

    By Blogger Jillian, at 1/03/2008 5:42 PM  

  • Oh how sweet to see love budding.

    "smiling and waving" he noticed her attention!
    Can't wait for chapter 2!

    By Blogger tongue in cheek, at 1/03/2008 8:27 PM  

  • Wow! This is becoming quite a drama. Can't wait to hear the rest.

    By Blogger Donna, at 1/03/2008 8:58 PM  

  • That is too freaking cute. I used to do the "Do you like me?" letter with the check boxes written in for "yes or "no."

    I always got back a written in "maybe" box. Lame.

    I should have gone with the bracelet thing. Too cute.

    By Blogger George, at 1/03/2008 11:45 PM  

  • if i was 8 years old, i'd be wishing my name was Ashley. she must be quite a cutie if brendon has his eye on her!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/04/2008 12:07 AM  

  • Shannon, this is too sweet.

    That Ashley is a luck girl. :-)

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 1/04/2008 10:06 AM  

  • I was thinking of the boxes and checkmarks, too! haha...This Ashley chick better know a good thing when she sees it! ;)

    I can't help it- that song Matchmaker from Fiddler on the Roof keeps running through my head!!

    By Blogger Lea, at 1/04/2008 10:34 AM  

  • Can't wait to read more about this love story.
    So cute.
    Happy New Year Shannon for you and your family

    By Blogger Mélanie, at 1/04/2008 12:17 PM  

  • Ashley is a very lucky girl indeed!

    This story is just too damned cute :) If Brendon only new how intrigued we all were with his love life LOL!!!

    Go Brendon! ;-)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/04/2008 12:26 PM  

  • Is it really unmasculine of me to call that sweet? There's just no other word for it.

    By Blogger Carey, at 1/04/2008 1:37 PM  

  • what and adorable story and blog!
    (stumbled across your page due to the title - my father has diabetes)

    super sweet, and tooo darn cute! :o)

    By Blogger ♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥, at 1/10/2008 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home