Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, December 28, 2007

Flying Solo

It was time to kick baby bird out of the nest, so to speak.

Today, Brendon attended his first birthday party by himself. I wasn't there to chaperone as usual.

Jeff dropped him off, talked to Brendon's friend's mom about when to call us so that we could tell Brendon what to do, and that was that. Jeff tested him before he left, caught him at about an 80, and cut back his basal in preparation for the festivities.

He had pizza. The mom called us, put Bren on the phone, and Jeff told him how many carbs to dose himself for. Luckily they had a scale so they could weight the pizza for him.

He and the other boys played some touch football outside. Brendon tested himself, was in the 50's, so he drank a juice.

He had a great time.

And we've successfully passed a threshold that I was anticipating and nervous about for the past 5 years.

8 Comments:

  • It's hard when they grow up. Good for you, Shannon, for letting Brendon learn to grow up. But yeah, it hurts a little...

    By Blogger meanderings, at 12/28/2007 9:20 PM  

  • Shannon,
    I know this had to be hard for you. But now you know it can be done. It's so nice that he can do this kind of stuff. I'm glad everything went well.

    By Blogger Donna, at 12/28/2007 10:33 PM  

  • My daughter Caroline is 5 1/2 and checks herself 3 times at kindergarten each day (while the nurse watches). We put a note in with her snacks and lunches that says how many carbs it is, and she puts it into her pump (again, as the nurse watches).

    In my opinion you need to force yourself to find reasons and times to do this more and more. Its great and it sucks at the same time. I hate this freaking disease. But in the long run he will be better for it, and it will actually make him more safe.

    Last week I asked Caroline how many carbs were in half a PB&J sandwich since she only ate half. She said 'how much is half of 25?". All these sorts of critical thinking exercises will help them figure out and understand it more and more.

    By Blogger Brett, at 12/28/2007 11:32 PM  

  • scary step Shannon!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 12/29/2007 9:05 AM  

  • I have been there, too. It's scary and a source of pride at the same time. he did great! I'm so glad he had a fun time at the party with no complications! I hope it's the first of many good times for him!

    By Blogger Lea, at 12/29/2007 9:30 AM  

  • My mom wanted me flying solo more often than I wanted to at that age. I just wanted to stay home. I was on a completely different insulin schedule and diet than Brendon though. (Way less complex, so I didn't need a lot of help with it.) I'm glad this was successful and that he had a good time!

    By Blogger Jillian, at 12/29/2007 12:23 PM  

  • Awesome!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 12/29/2007 1:23 PM  

  • Reading this made me shudder thinking about when I will be doing this too.

    But, it also made me look forward to it. We're starting to let Riley dose himself (with supervision, of course) and knowing that he will one day be able to handle it all on his own is both a comfort and scary.

    I know it must have been hard for you, but it sounds like Brendon handled everything just fine.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 12/31/2007 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home