Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Mother's Wisdom

Jessica wanted to work on a craft project with me, so I suggested we make her a name bracelet with some plasticy crystal beads and some letter beads.

She was happily stringing along when Brendon came in to check out what we were up to.

"I want to make a bracelet too."

"Really? This is a girl thing."

"I want to make one for someone in my class."

And so, he told me the girl's name and began picking up letter beads to spell out Ashley (with a heart bead included in the mix).

I knew about Ashley since I saw clues in his backpack in the past. Papers with her name on it, phrases like "I like Ashley" neatly printed...sketched pictures of a blond haired girl.

Here's where my wisdom comes in. Teasing him, I said:

"Oh, you don't need a girlfriend."

"Why not?"

"Because girls are nags. Stick to your studies."

"Why can't I study AND have a girlfriend."

"Because they'll never let you get your work done. They'll keep bugging you about why you don't call them, or why you don't tell them that you love them, and they'll keep asking what you're thinking about. Trust me, girls are a pain when they're girlfriends."

With that, he kept plucking up beads to save for the next day so that he could sit down and take time to make Ashley something special.

He'll be 8 soon. The next thing I know, he'll be 18. Will my motherly wisdom sink in? Probably not.

12 Comments:

  • It is hard to believe that boyfriends and girlfriends start so young! Our kids are growing up too soon! I think the 'girls are nags' line is a little harsh toward girls, but those little boyfriend-girlfriend dramas in elementary school are big stuff! I remember my first crush on Jeff in 2nd grade. Ah! The moments I spent thinking of him!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/02/2008 9:49 AM  

  • I was teasing him.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/02/2008 10:00 AM  

  • You know, Ashley is sometimes a boys name as well. I'm just sayin'. Oh, oh, I see. "Sketches of a girl." He could have long hair???

    Happy New Year!

    By Blogger Carey, at 1/02/2008 10:25 AM  

  • Could be Carey. One never knows these days.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/02/2008 10:33 AM  

  • Ah, Brooke is in Kindergarten and has three little boys who think she is "beauuuuuutiful" - according to their mothers.

    It starts early, I tell you.

    I have a feeling he's not going to listen to you *wink wink* - none of us listened to our parents ;-)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/02/2008 10:56 AM  

  • I told Jeff to expect lots of phone calls in the future as well as drive-bys, and girls coming to the door asking if Brendon is home.

    After school today, Bren and I have plans to make the bracelet after he studies his spelling words ;)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1/02/2008 11:01 AM  

  • I am so not looking forward to that when my girls get old enough to start talking about boyfriends. That when the shotgun is going to have to come out of the closet.

    By Blogger Chris, at 1/02/2008 11:34 AM  

  • Shannon,
    Just FYI - they don't listen. But that never stops us moms from trying, right? :)

    By Blogger Donna, at 1/02/2008 6:59 PM  

  • Thanks Shannon!

    By Blogger mel, at 1/02/2008 10:17 PM  

  • Oh man, this is cute. That kid is going to be a heartbreaker, for sure.

    Buckle up. ;)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 1/03/2008 5:25 PM  

  • Brendon is my kind of man! Plastic beads at 8, Diamonds to follow!!

    By Blogger tongue in cheek, at 1/03/2008 8:30 PM  

  • adorable!!

    By Blogger ♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥, at 1/10/2008 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home