Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Welcome To My Head. Come In And Make Yourself At Home.

I got this questionnaire from Amylia's blog. I absolutely LOVE Vanity Fair which is where the questions come from. It happens to be my favorite feature of the magazine.

Let me introduce you to my serious side:

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
The freedom to make choices and act upon them.

2. What is your greatest fear?
Dying in a car accident.

3. Which living person do you most admire?
Anyone who can balance living on their own terms while making compromises to live in harmony with his/her core family.

4. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My reluctance to be confrontational when I have to stand up for myself.

5. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
A person has sunk to the lowest depths of human nature when they impose their will and/or judgement upon another.

6. What do you consider the most overrated virtue
Charity. “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

7. On what occasion do you lie?
When I don't want to get caught.

8. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
Since there is nothing I'd want to have plastic surgery on, then I'd have to say I dislike nothing about it.

9. What is your greatest regret?
Not standing up for my friend who was black and being threatened by my other friends who were white. I was 5 years old at the time, but to this day, I wish I had the confidence to stand up for her against them.

10. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My husband and kids. I couldn't choose only one.

11. Which talent would you most like to have?
Singing, and to do so superbly.

12. What is your current state of mind?
Satisfied but with a hint of wanting something more substantial like a career.

13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
My penchant for dabbling. I try different things and move on to something else before I really get to know it well.

14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Having survived for 36 years - and with my sense of humor intact.

15. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
Impossible.

16. What is your most treasured possession?
My sense of humor. It is the only thing that helps me be optimistic which helps me to appreciate everything I have and what life throws at me...both the positive AND the negative.

17. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
My children dying before me.

18. Where would you like to live?
Tuscany.

19. What is your most marked characteristic?
My laugh. It's always genuine.

20. Who are your favorite writers?
Joan Didion, Mark Twain, and Judy Blume. My perspective on life is altered each time I read their books. Preventing stagnancy of ideas and ideals is important to me.

21. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Atticus Finch.

22. Who are your heroes in real life?
Brendon, my grandmother who lived through 4 years in a Nazi labor camp, my other grandmother who endured life with rheumatoid arthritis for 45 years with grace and never a bad mood.

23. What is it that you most dislike?
People who abuse kids.

24. What is your motto?
Live and let live.

25. Favorite Journey?
Each of my 3 pregnancies from the point of seeing a positive result on the pregnancy test to feeling them move around inside of me to the the time of their births when I saw what they looked like.

26. What do you value most in your friends?
Kindness, both to me and others.

27. Which words or phrases do you must overuse?
"Oh my god", and "fuck".

28. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Hellen Keller.

29. What is your greatest extravagance?
My trip to France both monetarily and spiritually.

30. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
Nothing.

31. What is your favorite occupation?
Singer.

32. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Supportiveness with lack of jealousy.

33. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Romantically, the ability to make me feel like I'm the only woman he has eyes for. Platonically, a sense of humor.

34. How would you like to die?
In my sleep with the knowing satisfaction of having lived my life the way I set out to do.

35. If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
A cure for Type 1 diabetes.

5 Comments:

  • Hi,
    I am only just now reading To Kill a Mockingbird (I don't know why I have not read it before) and it is truely fantastic ... and I can't help but find some pleasure in finding a book that doesn't make all lawyers look so bad!
    And I appreciate that you'd come back as a cure ....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2007 3:06 PM  

  • I actually just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird. For some reason, wasn't painful to read like it would've been in high school.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/29/2007 3:30 PM  

  • My son is reading To Kill a Mockingbird now for class. Great book, and also one of my favorite old movies, *sigh*

    I love your post. I'll try to do the same on the weekend!

    By Blogger Naomi, at 11/29/2007 9:22 PM  

  • Interesting to read this. Although you have to explain the Helen Keller aspect of it sometime (how you feel you relate to her ?!?!?). You got me all confused (although, it doesn't take much as you know).

    By Blogger Jamie, at 12/01/2007 8:39 PM  

  • Jamie,

    When the kids are loud and out of hand, there's nothing I want to be more than deaf, dumb, and blind.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/03/2007 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home