Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The World Is Going To Hell In A Handbasket....

....just make sure you're wearing a helmet on your way down. Oh, and some knee pads, too.

What is the world coming to when early episodes of Sesame Street is deemed unsuitable for toddlers to view?

The NY Times reports the episodes are made available on DVD with this warning on Volumes 1 & 2: "These early 'Sesame Street' episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today's preschool child."

We are raising a generation of pansies, I tell you.

Where is the harm in watching Cookie Monster eat a pipe after smoking it? Or watching Oscar the Grouch act like a...well, like a...grouch. Those are the things PBS is trying to shield today's youngsters from.

I used to watch Sesame Street every day when I was a young un.

Today, I am a college educated woman, wife, mother of three, living in the suburbs, who lives a comfortable life.

I fail to see how "old school" Sesame Street can corrupt today's children.

6 Comments:

  • un-freaking real.

    I have to say, my 14year old loved Sesame as a baby. My son not so much. It had been changed too much by then and never did anything for him. Truthfully I think Oscar the grouch prepared DD for life with me.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 11/20/2007 4:28 PM  

  • I totally agree Michelle. Sesame Street used to prepare kids for real life.... hehe.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/20/2007 4:57 PM  

  • Next they'll be saying the same type of things about Mr. Rogers (the fave in our house growing up)...

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 11/20/2007 5:46 PM  

  • Shannon,
    This is terrible! It seems that everything from a few years ago is now taboo for kids. We survived watching the old Sesame Street episodes. I think today's kids will survive those horrible episodes, too.

    By Blogger Donna, at 11/20/2007 5:56 PM  

  • I read that article and was going to do a post about it. I saw the headline and said "You have got to be fucking kidding me. Sesame Street? Seriously?"

    I watch Sesame Street now and all I want to do is boot Elmo in the ass and tell Cookie Monster to lay off the vegetable rap.

    What ever happened to Bert and his pigeons? Or that outrageous pinball counting thing? Sesame Street was COOL when I was a kid. It was mesmerizing and entertaining and funny. Now it's just pablum. And that pisses me off.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 11/21/2007 11:30 AM  

  • The outrageous pinball counting got air-play during the world series...

    and I was mentioning this today to my family and my daughter started singing the Grouch National Anthem (from the beginning of Follow That Bird)...with it's big line "SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH EVERYTHING"...how I love oscar!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 11/22/2007 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home