Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, November 19, 2007

His Fifth Diabetes Anniversary


"(Courage is) when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do".
-Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"


Five years ago, in a hospital where my son lay close to unconsciousness, I made the decision to say goodbye to a family I wanted nothing more than to keep close and tight to me.

I turned my back on them because I believed that clinging to the life they had would make my new life so much more unbearable to lead. Their life was: love each other, love and nourish the children, work hard to to make a comfortable, simple life.

I immediately greeted a new family with wide open arms despite being completely intimidated and frightened of the kind of life they would endure: so much more complicated, more worries than they ever dreamed of, no decisions made lightly ever, ever again.

Five years later, the new family isn't so new anymore and their life isn't so frightening and intimidating either. Life feels more settled and even a little bit free.

I do, however, desperately miss the family I turned away from and think of them from time to time. One day I hope to greet them again....when diabetes is cured.

11 Comments:

  • Aww...Shannon, thanks for sharing this. 5 years living with diabetes is substantial. I am glad you embraced your newly changed family with open arms, despite all the unknowns and the fear. I am glad you are part of the diabetes OC even though I wish there was no need for it.

    Thinking of you and your family on this anniversary.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11/19/2007 6:12 AM  

  • Hi Shannon. Thinking of you and your family today.

    Welcome home. Pictures look amazing. Hope to hear more about your trip.

    The doctor

    By Blogger Carey, at 11/19/2007 8:47 AM  

  • I had no idea Brendon's anniversary was on my birthday. I will remember him on this day from now on.

    (((hugs))) to you today. Those anniversaries are always hard (to me anyway).

    And, welcome home. I've missed you.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 11/19/2007 9:12 AM  

  • Definitely a milestone anniversary. I am sending you all Great Big Cyber Hugs today!!! You can really look back and reflect on what a great job you have all done. Your family is amazing and I am so proud to know you.

    Oh and welcome home! I am so glad you are safe and sound and have a great experience to cherish.

    By Blogger Vivian, at 11/19/2007 10:12 AM  

  • 5 years is such a long time, especially with such a young child. I can't imagine the impact it has had on your family. You guys are doing an amazing job, thinking of you on this milestone day!

    By Blogger Jillian, at 11/19/2007 10:37 AM  

  • Shannon - I love that quote from Atticus Finch. :)

    I wish for you - and for Brendon a day when you WILL greet that family again - but in the meantime, I hope you can throw your arms around the days that remind you of them and that life of five years ago. I hope you can breath in those moments of freedom and have them nourish you when things seem complicated and worrisome.

    And I'm glad that you - and your family - have blessed my life. I see in you all of those "old life things -" love each other, love and nourish the children, work hard to make a comfortable, simple life.

    You inspire me and I thank you.

    ox, N

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 11/19/2007 12:34 PM  

  • That quote is perfect.

    Thinking of all of you today-- and sending (((Hugs))).

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 11/19/2007 12:49 PM  

  • Shannon,
    When I met you and saw you with your children, I saw all that love and hard work. You are a great mother, and I admire what an incredible family you have.

    By Blogger Lea, at 11/19/2007 3:10 PM  

  • What a touching post. I think a lot of us felt that way on the day our children were diagnosed - we said goodbye to our old lives and had to learn to live new ones.

    I, too, hope we can once again be reunited with our "old" family. Worries? Yes - but not the same ones - not the diabetes ones.

    Thinking of you and Brendon today.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 11/19/2007 3:39 PM  

  • The lion of courage will lead the child, you are the lion and your child is courage made whole!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/19/2007 5:42 PM  

  • beautiful post, shannon. I've got chills.

    By Blogger Paige, at 11/27/2007 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home