Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It Sort Of Makes Sense If You Don't Think About It

He was a 26.

I could've sworn he was pulling my leg.

Brendon, Jess, and Jake were running around the house in their after dinner frenzy they go through every night and finally settled down in the playroom.

I had just snuggled under the comforter on the couch watching Katie Couric on TV who was in nearby Concord, NH when Brendon came in asking Jeff and I to guess what number he was.

"I'm a 26", he said with a smirk on his face.

He was completely solid and coherent.

"Yeah right",I said.

"I really am."

"Are you kidding?"

"No."

"You're kidding me, right."

"No. I'm. Not. Kidding."

"You're serious?"

"YES!?"

"Go get your meter." It's not like he's never been that low and behaved "normal". But that smirk made me think he was trying to pull a little joke.

He went into the kitchen and got the meter....his One Touch Ultra Mini.

"Haha. You're a 95. You were trying to trick me."

"No I'm not. I'm really a 26."

"Let me see that", said Jeff.

"He's really a 26."

OH SHIT!! Brendon wasn't holding it upside down...I was.

Keep your cool, Shannon.

I tested him again to make sure the meter wasn't playing tricks on me.

He was a 28.


I got him two juice boxes for a total of 48 carbs. He slurped down both.

All the while I'm asking him how he feels-he says his stomach hurts but he feels fine, I'm touching his skin-it's clammy, I'm looking at his complexion-flushed cheeks and whiter shade of pale underneath, I asked him if he feels sleepy-he says he has to lay down because his stomach hurts.

Jeff is checking how much insulin is on board since we ate dinner less than an hour earlier.

Jeff had also cut him back around dinner time so that he was getting .15 over a half hour.

Yet he still dropped so fucking low.

Brendon asked for water, so I went to the kitchen to get some for him.

And I nearly lost it. Tears threatened to flow over, but I held them back.

Must stay calm and steady for Brendon. He was so calm and steady.

15 minutes later, he rose to the low 100's.

Take a deep breath, gather yourself, and move forward to the next moment in time.


This Is Spinal Tap:

"No one knows, who they were. Or, what they were doing...but their legacy remains."

I really have nothing to write here. This video is short, but it's solid enough to stand on its own. Luckily, it's not at risk of being crushed by a dwarf.

9 Comments:

  • scary stuff.

    i am often surprised how a low hits me and i don't know it.

    i was at 34 mg/dl and was a bit subborn (not stopping what i was doing), but that's all.

    i often feel worse going back up into normal range than i do dropping low.


    glad the little guy was okay...and you, too.

    (((hugs)))

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11/27/2007 8:16 AM  

  • My lowest low was 28, I was 13 and home alone. It was really weird. I was able to walk up 3 flights of steps from my play/craft room in our basement, to call my mom. She was more freaked out than I was, after talking to her then I treated the low. Lows tend to make me extremely fixated on a task, like making that phone call.
    I'm glad you guys caught this one and everyone is okay!

    By Blogger Jillian, at 11/27/2007 8:57 AM  

  • Holy crap that's scary! Our kids also do a post-dinner frenzy every night. You think it was from that? I think sometimes we underestimate what that can do to Charlie's blood sugar. Though why that night and not any other night? There's probably no logical answer.

    Glad I could help.

    By Blogger Carey, at 11/27/2007 9:21 AM  

  • Amylia and Jillian,
    I find it bizarre how certain things bother Brendon, but then something drastic like a 25 doesn't phase him.

    Carey,
    It helps to know someone is just as clueless as I am ;)

    I think that low had something to do with him running around like a maniac. I guess he never rose high enough after dinner to keep him from dipping as low as he did. He's been super sensitive to insulin these past weeks.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/27/2007 9:39 AM  

  • Stupid lows. When they come out of the blue like that, it freaks me out. Brendon's adrenaline while he was playing probably kept him from feeling the low like he normally would?? I dunno- that's a head scatcher. Hope the big guy is doing alright today :)

    On a lighter note, you made my day with that video. So freaking funny.

    By Blogger Lea, at 11/27/2007 11:16 AM  

  • Yikes!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 11/27/2007 12:37 PM  

  • It amazes me when they have lows like that and seem to be "ok". Other than looking a bit on the pale side, they're running around like little fools.

    That's scary stuff :(

    Glad he caught it in time and all is well :)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 11/27/2007 2:52 PM  

  • god, shannon. so scary. glad everything turned out OK.

    By Blogger Paige, at 11/27/2007 8:53 PM  

  • By Blogger arif, at 1/04/2011 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home