Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chilling

I was up late last night after checking to see if Kerri blasted me with Status Updates in our self imposed Battle of The Status Updates in Facebook.

After seeing that I had won ;)....I was wide awake and couldn't sleep.

At around 2:30 in the morning, I was about to shut off Conan when Brendon came down. He asked me to test him because he felt low.

In most of the years he's been on the pump, we've never had to do middle of the night testing because his numbers always held from around 10 p.m. until morning. Plus, with the work hours Jeff keeps, Brendon was checked before dawn anyway.

Now was different. When I tested him, he was a 45.

When he was younger and still on Humalog and NPH we did the 2 a.m. checks. We'd often catch lows that he was sleeping through.

It chills me to think that he could've slept through that low last night.

Jeff said when he did the 10 p.m. check last night, Brendon was a 45. He was treated as Jeff knew would be effective enough to get him through the night, but he dropped back down again overnight.

It looks like I'll be resuming the 2 a.m. checks from now on.

6 Comments:

  • ARRGG! I hate when that happens. We had similar last night - Ian was 211 at 10pm, and we let it go thinking we'd all get a nice sleep last night. Woke up to 91 at 6am. Usually he has a little dawn phenom. happening, which means he must have been lower than 91. I'm kicking myself for not getting up at 3am to check.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 10/31/2007 8:49 AM  

  • Shannon,

    Those lows at night are scary. We check a couple of times a night because I worry about what might happen.

    He doesn't go low as much as he did when he was on Lantus, but it happens enough that I feel like I have to get up and check, just in case.

    My hope is that one day soon continuous glucose monitors will be better and less expensive and I will actually be able to sleep through the night.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 10/31/2007 8:59 AM  

  • Here we are, the middle of the night club. Wanna get on the phone & chat from 2 - 3 a.m.?

    Like Penny, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the good continuous glucose monitors.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 10/31/2007 12:53 PM  

  • Yep, we're all gonna have to start up a middle of the night club.

    I HATE those middle of the night lows - they scare the crap out of me (and the sleep).

    *sigh*

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10/31/2007 2:08 PM  

  • I'll join that club. As much as it sucks being woken(awoken? woke? woken up?- that doesn't sound right) from a sound sleep, I thank God every time for the simple fact that Noah even wakes up in the first place. It's so scary knowing how easily everyone could sleep through a low.

    By Blogger Lea, at 10/31/2007 2:43 PM  

  • aww..that's scary. I'm glad he woke up and knew to ask you to test him. Man, you really were up late--things happen for a reason, eh? Hell, with diabetes sometimes things happen for no frickin' reason, though, or there is a reason but we can't figure it out, which is frustrating!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11/01/2007 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home