Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Saturday, October 20, 2007

In The Weeds

I'm flipping through my new issue of Self magazine when I come to the first article about Elizabeth Perkins of the TV show, Weeds (as well as the movie, "Big", with Tom Hanks).

She talked about having all sorts of symptoms for years, but when she'd see doctors about the symptoms they'd tell her nothing is wrong, it's all in her head, here's a prescription for Paxil.

At yet another procedure, a nurse took her blood and came running back telling the doctor that her glucose reading was a 690.

She was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.

She's in her mid 40's which I believe is why doctors didn't focus on the possibility of her symptoms being a part of Type 1.

She asked why a high reading hadn't showed up before and she was told that any time her blood work was done, it was probably done first thing in the morning before she ate, so her blood sugars were in normal range over the years. She told the doctor that he was right, that she did always have blood work done first thing in the morning.

I think it's pretty scary that she had gone on for so long without doctors taking her seriously.

6 Comments:

  • You mean maybe a person shoud have their blood work done late in the day? I always have mine done an hour after i have been awake.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/20/2007 4:23 PM  

  • wow. I hadn't heard about that. it always bothers me to hear about people who've had to go to doctor to doctor to doctor before what seems like a simple diagnosis.

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 10/20/2007 4:47 PM  

  • Good grief, what a horror. Don't they encourage you to come for a fasting test when you do get checked for diabetes? I always thought they did.

    I love Weeds - it's a great show.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 10/20/2007 10:28 PM  

  • Scary yes. Surprising no. So many people have these stereotypical assumptions about Type 1 and Type 2.

    You can't get Type 1 once you're no longer a child - wrong. I think that belongs up there as one of the big myths about diabetes.

    By Blogger Bernard, at 10/21/2007 1:24 PM  

  • Yikes - I'm terrified to think what my readings would have been pre-diagnosis after food! I was diagnosed at 390 first thing in the morning. Wonder how long that was going on for though...

    By Blogger Wingman, at 10/22/2007 9:03 AM  

  • Wow!

    I hadn't heard that yet - and usually I am on top of celebrity diabetics.

    I guess fasting numbers are lower but low enough to not be detected...hmmm...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/22/2007 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home