Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, October 15, 2007

Hookah Like A Hipster

The fam and I headed to Jersey for the weekend, and every chance we get, Jeff and I latch onto my brother and his fianceƩ and make them take us to the city.

They live on the Lower East Side in an awesome, tiny studio apartment with a rooftop view of the Empire State Building. For some reason I felt very Carrie Bradshaw when I was shown the rooftop view.

The Lower East Side is swarming with hipsters. Hipsters fascinate me for some reason. They're all about indie, and casual, and vintage (don't let them fool you...they shop at Urban Outfitters), and they like to text message each other.

My bro and his girl wanted to show us a good time, so that night they brought us to a bar that served original drinks that the bartenders made up themselves. I ordered an unoriginal Mojito so I could fit in and be ironic with the other hipsters.

There were cramped four seats available, so the hipster bartender said there were additional seating in the basement. We made our way down and saw more hipsters hovering over a laptop checking out a website and sipping Stella and/or bottled water.

For some reason, the bartender in the basement didn't serve the original drinks. We made our way up to the cramped four seats and got comfortable. Then, we text messaged each other (j/k).

My brother was telling us about the hookah lounges popping up everywhere. After we finished our drinks, and I was trying not to laugh at some hipsters wearing plaid Fedoras (like the kind Bing Crosby wore), we hit the lounge.

The first lounge we walked into, hipsters were dancing to Michael Jackson's Beat It. And so we beat it to another lounge.

It was very communal. It's decorated all Middle Eastern with hipsters everywhere sharing some casual conversation and smoking the hookah.

We ordered the apple flavored smoke stuff and hit the hookah while we watched the Red Sox get SPANKED (ha!).

I drank some Turkish coffee (because they only serve Stella and water...and turkish coffee) and took a couple of puffs on the hookah. I was getting confused with the proper way to huff this hookah (you sort of puff it the way you would a pipe) with the way you huff the kind with the wacky weed in it. The only high I was getting was from holding my breath when I took a drag.

There was no high to be gotten from that hookah. Grrr....

That was my adventurous night in the city.

8 Comments:

  • Oh Shannon.. i love the use of the work 'hipster'!
    Sounds like a fun weekend.

    By Blogger Jenn, at 10/15/2007 7:16 AM  

  • LOL - sounds like an interesting trip :) I'm so envious of everyone who has been hitting the big apple lately (excuse the pun on the flavoured hookah).

    Ok, wtf is the deal wtih hookahs?? What benefit do you get from them? Is it all in your head or is there some real benefit to those freaky-deeky things?

    You're a crazy woman! LOL.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10/15/2007 10:46 AM  

  • Typically people smoke pot through them. But for some reason, it's the "in" thing right now. Sort of the way oxygen bars were "in" a few years ago.

    I prefer the traditional "additives" rather than the apple smoke.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/15/2007 10:53 AM  

  • Welcome to my neighborhood! I'm not a youth football coach to be ironic - my god I don't fit in there anymore. Wish I knew you were in, I avoid the hipster joints like the plague and would have grabbed a drink with you. It would have been simple to find me, I'm the clean cut kid whose been living in the neighborhood for 4 years. Let me know if you visit again.

    And we actually lost to the team we played on Saturday the first time we played them - my kids are getting good.

    By Blogger Wingman, at 10/15/2007 11:15 AM  

  • Ed,
    You sound like my brother. We usually go to beer joints, but he was feeling adventurous. We were the only clean cut people wherever we went. I never felt so vulnerable in my life.

    We'll definitely get together if you're available the next time we're in.

    Had I known that's where you lived, I would've text messaged you ;)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/15/2007 12:18 PM  

  • Hookah -

    I remember that was just starting to get big when I was in college. I almost went with some friends, but we got in a car accident on the way and I decided it wasn't for me. That was the end of my hookah experience.
    I'm such a rebel!

    P.S. Why does it always take me two tries on the word verification? ALOL!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2007 9:40 PM  

  • ALOL. I always picture you like the picture of you on your little thumbnail icon, so I just can't picture it, which makes it so much cooler! :) heh heh

    I liked your description of the city. I'm jealous--it sounded like a really fun time. I heart NY.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/16/2007 6:47 AM  

  • Sara,
    You didn't miss much.

    Amylia,
    I think it's pretty funny too since the 4 of us are so "normal". We were the oldest people there, too.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/16/2007 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home