Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Reasoning

Brendon has diabetes.
If Brendon gets tested, he gets a snack.
Ergo, if I have diabetes and then test myself, I will get a snack.


So goes Jacob's four year old reasoning.

When the kids are home all day with me like during the summer or holidays, they get snacks a couple of times a day. I limit the amount of times they get to eat. Sometimes (more like all goddamn day) they're extra hungry and want more. But I know they've had enough, so I put my foot down and say NO!

On the occasions when Brendon feels low he'll test himself, and if he's low, he gets a juice and a bit of something to eat.

Jacob absorbs that scenario and sees Brendon getting something extra.

Jacob:
I wanna snack!
Me: No. You just had a snack.
Jacob: I have dia-BE-TEEZ!
Me: No you don't.

Jacob disappears for some odd minutes and returns with meter in hand:

Jacob:
SEE!!
Me (reading number on meter which says "Er5" and then scooping up my melted heart from the floor): Jacob you don't have diabetes and you are not getting another snack, now cut it out!!!

He stomps off in a huff.

The same scene repeats itself either at some point later on in the day or I get a reprieve until the next day when he takes it upon himself to test again.

9 Comments:

  • Ha ha - we've had the same thing only regarding glucose tablets (Tomas' preferred method of raising his sugar levels during lows). He told his sister they taste just like candy and are much tastier than juice....

    Yep, next thing you know she's climbing across the kitchen counter to reach the upper cabinet because she 'feels low'.

    Me: "Toria you can't feel low because your pancreas works just fine."
    Toria: "Mom, I'm low and need to have some glucose tablets RIGHT NOW and it's not candy and it helps keep me safe just like it does Tomas."

    And so it goes...

    By Blogger C.L.W., at 10/03/2007 12:36 AM  

  • We used to have glucose tabs...until Jessica and Jacob ate them all.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/03/2007 7:31 AM  

  • Oh man *sigh*. The life of a sibling of a D child, huh?

    We mainly just use apple juice to treat the lows - then Brooke asks for juice, so I give her some. But Jacob is little and doesn't understand - poor little dude LOL. Crafty though ... getting out the meter to show you he does, indeed, need that snack ....

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10/03/2007 10:32 AM  

  • Kids are marvelous! Jacob is the age of Ellen's daughter Linn! Kids are just miniature adults - they understand JUST as much as adults! Don't let their size fool you!

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 10/03/2007 1:40 PM  

  • Jamie,
    He is very crafty...both cleverwise and artwise. I'm going to post a pic of a nice big portrait he drew on my freshly painted wall.

    Chrissie,
    I'm always fascinated by how kids' minds work and formulate things. And yes I totally agree that they understand just as much as adults do.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/03/2007 1:57 PM  

  • Boo gets up every morning and says "You check my sugar, mama, den I eat beffist." *sigh* It's cute, but I hate it.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 10/04/2007 12:29 AM  

  • awww...this post strikes me as a little sad. Cute, but sad.

    I remember when I got diabetes (at 11), my twin sister (who got diabetes 3 years earlier) was not particularly helpful, as if it was her special thing and I was crashing the D-life party. Now she doesn't remember it this way and just told me that she used to let me "pratice" giving shots on her, by letting me inject the insulin and give her shots (but only in her butt, she clarifies) before I felt confident in giving them to myself. If that is true, that is sweet (and a little sad). I don't remember that, but I do feel blessed to have had my sister there with me, even if we had a rough go of it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/04/2007 6:06 AM  

  • Julia,
    Their little baby voices make it sound so cute.

    Amylia,
    Wow, your twin sister has D too. Are you identical twins? If so, I guess the likelihood of both of you getting it is higher than that of the average sibling. That was nice of her to let you practice giving shots on her. I'm sorry you had a rough start with the "rivalry" if that was the case.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/04/2007 6:58 AM  

  • I can't remember much about how my brother (older) and sister (younger) handled my diabetes as we were all growing up.

    This gives me a pretty solid glimpse into how it may have been.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 10/04/2007 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home