Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Leader Of The Pack

"Are you Brendon Lewis' mom?"

"Yes, I am."

"My son talks about Brendon all the time. He can't stop talking about him and the football games they play at recess. Oh! And we saw you in the newpaper. How is he doing?"

"Brendon is doing great with his diabetes. Thank you for asking."

She told me her name as we parted ways to gather our children who were sitting on the gym floor waiting for their parents to pick them up to go home. I asked her what her son's name is so I could ask Brendon about him.

A couple of days before, I heard Brendon talking to Jeff about the football game he started during recess one day.

He was tired of playing catch all the time, so he decided to gather some boys to play touch football.

There were originally 7 players. Now there are 10.

He said they're all good except for the boy whose mother approached me. He throws lefty and although he throws the ball far, he can't aim it to who the ball needs to go to. So rather than quarterback, Brendon made him the kicker.

As long as a boy wants to play, he's got a place on the team.

That is what's special about Brendon. No one is ever excluded. Anyone will fit in as long as they want to play. He'll find a place for them.

There are also four cheerleaders. He asked two girls to be cheerleaders, and one day two more girls approached them asking if they could be included. He said for now there are four but there could be more later on.

4 Comments:

  • That is a dear story! I can just see it, and how nice that your son is so thoughtful and made the boy a kicker. And wow--even little cheerleaders? So cute. I bet they LOVE IT. Your son must be a popular little guy.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9/23/2007 4:08 PM  

  • Wow, what a sweetheart! And probably his wonderful personality helps him deal with the diabetes, which is both lovely and heartbreaking at the same time. Give him a hug from me!

    By Blogger Naomi, at 9/25/2007 10:33 AM  

  • Aww Shannon! I want Jarret to be friends with him!!!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 9/25/2007 10:59 AM  

  • Yay, I can finally post a comment. Yeesh. Friggen blogger was giving me grief.

    Brendon sounds like a sweetie - and, you know, it's very important to have cheerleaders - LOTS of cheerleaders ;) lol.

    I think you must be doing something right with that kid!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 9/25/2007 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home