Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Code Breaker

I see Brendon's glucose readings as codes to be broken. What do they mean? What is the message?

He'll begin to have a series of readings like these in a day (and similar readings for weeks):

77 - 74 - 113 - 93 - 281

I wonder why his body is giving us awesome numbers like that. So I analyze and ponder and analyze some more and come up with the break in code: Change in season to Autumn.

Then I'm thrown numbers like these from today (and similar numbers from the previous couple of days):

67 - 349 - 332 - 215 - 99 - 321

What does it all mean? What is this about? What are these numbers saying? I begin analyzing and come up with a possible break. So I ask Brendon if he feels sick. He answers no. So I decide to go with another break: Growth spurt.

Or try these numbers:

47 - 262 - 109 - 260 - 57 - 165

One glance tells me: Don't know what the fuck THAT one's about.

I'm always wondering what is happening with his body to cause these numbers. People are curious by nature. Like wondering how the Earth came to be or how expansive the universe is. Whether I'm right or wrong about what the code means, it doesn't matter. It could be any number of reasons that I probably never knew existed. You can only keep track of a trend and adjust accordingly.

Sometimes there is a concrete reason for a series of numbers in a stagnant range. Perhaps a bad infusion set site, or bubbles in the tubing, or I forgot to dose him (it happens) thus throwing off his numbers for the day.

Always analyzing...and thinking...and wondering what that body of his is trying to tell me. Such is the life of a parent whose child has diabetes.

13 Comments:

  • Yes...it gets easier from time to time, but I'm always trying to "break the code." it's impossible to know all the variables, though.

    I ran high all day but knew it was from eating pizza. It's CRAZY how much insulin I need to take to cover pizza, at the time, then 3 hours later, then again hours after that. Why do I even eat the stuff? (horomonal PMS cravings, that's why)

    Do the seasonal changes really play a part? I've always wondered about this, but never attributed strange trends to that, but maybe it really is a major factor.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/11/2007 12:15 AM  

  • Or the life of anyone with diabetes. For the past six weeks or so (maybe two months?), Greg has managed to pretty much stay between 100-200 with a few deviations down and up. Our upcoming road trip will surely change that, as we both know from previous experience...

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 10/11/2007 8:01 AM  

  • Right now I'm trying to break the code of why Riley runs high all night long. His numbers are great during the day, but he runs in the 200s all night even with corrections.

    I'm a little frustrated and realize that I would suck at being a detective.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 10/11/2007 9:05 AM  

  • sometimes, when the moon is full, and a crow has flown over our house, and venus is in retrograde, my son's numbers do what I expect and I can make some sense of them. It's all a big freaking crap shoot most other times.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 10/11/2007 9:24 AM  

  • Yeah, code breaking is a big waste of time essentially, but I can't help myself.

    I find that when I stand on one foot, say "Mecca lecca high mecca hiney ho", clap three times and stick out my tongue, Brendon's numbers come out the way they do.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/11/2007 9:44 AM  

  • I find I go a little bit more insane each time I try to figure out why the numbers go like that (and trust me, if this keeps happening, I'll be a full fledged raging lunatic by the time Dani is 7).

    I digress....

    So, I just treat, and move on. Some days I freak right out and rant and rave - get pissed off and have my moment, then I continue on LOL. Funny how this disease is so damned mentally draining! And, honest to God the changing of the fucking seasons DOES have an effect on their sugars. At least in Dani it does - she is WAY more active in the summer than any other time of the year and generally requires less insulin at that time (unless she hits a growth spurt, a virus or there is a full moon or I didn't knock on wood three times, spin around, do a tap dance and throw salt in the air or whatever ....).

    Damned disease!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10/11/2007 10:58 AM  

  • Yes, such is life! How many times have I said it...... I am not even looking for a cure. I am looking for some resonable answers to why our diabetes acts the way it does.

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 10/11/2007 11:02 AM  

  • Most common explanations I've received are "your body is still producing some insulin" or "different times of day produce different reults." Oh really? Thanks - the different times of day was a tough one to figure out. I can only imagine how crazy the numbers would be for a kid with all the changes their body goes through.

    By Blogger Wingman, at 10/11/2007 12:15 PM  

  • I think code breaking is worth a shot, personally. It's natural curiosity, combined with controlled trial and error that sometimes lead to great discovery and insights.

    Keep on thinkin'.

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 10/11/2007 3:33 PM  

  • I think you're right, Johnboy. Thanks! :)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/11/2007 3:35 PM  

  • Oh my gawwwd, Shannon knows Pee Wee's playhouse. Long live Jamby.

    What is it about the weird numbers? Our endo told me that when the numbers are high, I should watch them for a couple of days to see if there is a trend. With N and R, Daniel would swing back and forth... three high days, three low days, three low days with 1 big high, three high days with a couple of wicked lows sprinkled in.

    I guess I haven't been dealing with this disease long enough, but I can't see the trends.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 10/11/2007 6:32 PM  

  • Actually I was thinking you got it from Jimmy Neutron. I heard Sheen say that on there the other day. But, now I remember it from Pee Wee too. (Yes I do have a very exciting life.)

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 10/12/2007 8:44 AM  

  • I don't bother breaking the code but I do consider writing the levels down and using them as my lottery numbers! Bit easier for us in Aus as we have numbers which can be used for the lotto! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/13/2007 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home