Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Superman, Batman, Dark Lazer, and Kerri's Mom

Today we went to a JDRF walk on behalf of the Six Until Me team.

I got to meet Kerri's mom which I've been waiting for a long time to do. I read her comments and her guest posts and have heard stories from Kerri (always good ones, Kerri's mom). She's youthful, energetic (taking Jacob's football tackles like a champ) and is very funny.

Nicole
was a part of the group as well as Chris, some of Kerri's extended family, and her friend, Batman. It's always good to see Nicole and Kerri as we never have a lull in the conversation and continually find ways to make each other laugh.

Lots of teams were abound and I began culling different design ideas from each t-shirt to come up with something special for Brendon next year.

I have to admit that over the past couple of years, I've lost my motivation to want to make a difference by raising money. When I failed to see response to my letters to contribute, I lost any hope to make a difference. But seeing children, babies, and Brendon getting tested time and time again throughout the 3 mile walk gave me renewed energy to keep going the distance and keep doing our little part to make a difference.

As we were all walking, I don't recall what tipped me off, but half a bottle of water dumped out into my handbag where I had all sorts of diabetes supplies, my cell phone, wallet and Jeff's wallet.

Now my cell phone is on the fritz...aka broke down. Our wallets are sunning away, but thankfully Brendon's meter keeps on ticking.

Also, Jacob dropped two of his cookies on the pavement, quickly picked them up and blew the dirt off. Two women witnessed this and started laughing. I kiddingly told them they didn't see that as I let Jacob eat them. Hey, at least he picked them up within 5 seconds. And they weren't really dirty......

Throughout the walk, Brendon complained he was hot, tired, low, his legs hurt, when is this walk over, where are we going, etc, etc.

But when he caught sight of Kerri and Chris' niece ahead of us, he asked, "Mom, can I run up ahead?" I said yes and marveled at the sudden "hustle" he found when there was a girl to show off in front of as he cradled his beloved football and took the stride of an athlete.

After the walk, we all found a shady spot under a big oak tree where we ate our lunch. And where Superman repeatedly said:
Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris
"Chris, Brendon is trying to tell you something", said Kerri.
Chris turns his attention to Brendon.
"Do you want to play football with me and my dad?"
"Yeah, sure!"

So while the gang played a game of catch and a bit of touch football, Batman, with pretty, pointed toes, performed cartwheels for Jessica.

Jacob was excited to have seen "Dark Lazer" along with Bobo Fett, and some other Star Wars characters.

It was a beautiful day, walking with some of the nicest, most fun people.

11 Comments:

  • Sounds like a great time Shannon :) I'm glad you got to spend some time with some fun people at the walk!

    Sounds like Chris was a popular guy ;)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10/22/2007 10:34 AM  

  • Sounds like a great day. Ours is next Sunday.

    By Blogger Carey, at 10/22/2007 10:51 AM  

  • Great photos (over at Six Until Me)- looks like a great day for a walk. Hurray for Team SUM!

    By Blogger meanderings, at 10/22/2007 12:30 PM  

  • Thanks for doing this, Shannon.

    )By the way, I love the photo of you, Kerri, and Nicole over at Kerri's blog.)

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 10/22/2007 12:39 PM  

  • That all of you can meet is so TREMENDOUS! Do you know how lucky you are?! I guess I will just have to be satisfied with being one of the D OC! It is better than nothing! STILL I am definitely jealous!

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 10/22/2007 1:10 PM  

  • From the pictures it looked like a beautiful day! Even if it doesn't feel like it, because of you guys we are a few steps closer to the cure.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 10/22/2007 1:53 PM  

  • aLOL - Dark Lazer. Every time he said it, I couldn't control my laughter. That and the fact that he kept calling me an old lady.

    Wicked fun. Thank you so much for coming down!!

    By Blogger Kerri., at 10/22/2007 5:05 PM  

  • Kerri,
    He got a kick out calling you and your mom old ladies. You obviously, and your mom, are nowhere near old ladies ;)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/22/2007 5:08 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/22/2007 5:09 PM  

  • My freakin hip still hurts from that cartwheel. That's what I get for trying to keep up with Batman....

    Always awesome to be around you guys, Shannon...

    :)

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 10/22/2007 6:03 PM  

  • Man -

    Sounds and looks (SUM pics) like a fun day!
    It's always fun to meet fellow D OC buddies.
    Wanna come to Florida?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/22/2007 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home