Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, July 06, 2007

He Growed Up

Watching your kids grow is sort of like watching the grass grow. You don't see changes happen minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day. It takes being away for a while, and then coming back to notice how tall the grass grew.

Being that a parent is with their child day in and day out, you don't really see changes unless you compare pictures of them taken months or years apart.

On Brendon's last day of school, I could've sworn he looked different. He looked older, like his face was thinning a bit, his neck grew a little longer....was he up to my shoulder already?

Of course I chalked it up to my mind playing tricks on me because he was ending one grade and would soon be a big shot second grader. So I figured my brain was casting illusions of him noticeably changing due to power of suggestion.

A couple of weeks ago, Brendon's numbers started skyrocketing. It was all I could do to keep him no more than 250. At night, I would correct him 100% where normally, we would typically give him a 50% correction if he needed a correction at all.

Bouncing with lows of 250, to highs of 400, I thought it was bad infustion sets, maybe the pump wasn't performing properly, or even the insulin was bad, but those were all soon ruled out.

Jeff had raised his basal rates throughout the day, but with little effect. We're always hesitant to change his rates because Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as we do that, his numbers will flip back to normal and with the raised rates, lows would occur.

But because the bump up in rates barely made a dent, Jeff raised them some more to a full unit spread throughout the day.

So far, his numbers have been where we wanted them. So far, his numbers haven't flipped back to where they once were. I think his body went from one stage of growth to the next so that his insulin is permanently fixed for now. I suspected that it might be a growth spurt large enough to bring him to that next level.

I measured him in the doorway where the kids' heights have been marked for the past couple of years. And what do you know. He grew an inch and a half in just a couple of months. Most of it I believe occured in the past month.

Diabetes is a rotten awful condition. But sometimes it gives a neat little portal into the body that provides eye witness to changes that people wouldn't be able to experience otherwise. Although, I'll settle for a tape measure.

6 Comments:

  • What interesting, unique, yet heartwrenching thoughts you have there.

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 7/06/2007 8:52 PM  

  • Being only 10 when I got the D I went through adolescents with diabetes. It is really hard.....but then since February my diabetes has again been throwing me a looper. this looper is NOT caused by female hormones or lack of them. The thing is, we must realize that we will never really fully UNDERSTAND what is happening but must simply accept to just COPE with the situation! And changes continue in our body, and each one of them makes diabetes management and every day job, day after day. On the lighter side - wait until your kids are taller than you and find yourself lecturing with them. You get quite a jolt!

    By Blogger Chrissie in Belgium, at 7/07/2007 5:47 AM  

  • Shannon,

    We are going through this with Riley righy now. He's high, high, high most of the time, especially at night. I have increased basals too, with no real effect.

    I told Michael last night maybe he's going through a growth spurt. I hope that's what it is and I hope he stops growing soon so I can see those numbers even out again.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 7/07/2007 9:10 AM  

  • Shannon,
    Thanks for reminding me that there are blessings with this disease. You are right, we have such an intimate relationship with our D kids. We get to see right into the whole of them and know (or try to know) what is going on with them all of the time. It creates a special bond. I hope you have a great weekend.
    Viv

    By Blogger Vivian, at 7/07/2007 3:34 PM  

  • I remember when you wrote about being able to know the change of a season, or weather or an oncoming illness. How a slight change, missed by the eye, could be seen through the markers. I have thought of that often. The awareness that you have of your son's interior growth and change. .... even though it isn't worth haven't diabetes, at least there is one small gift in it all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2007 10:22 AM  

  • Must be something in the air. Dani's sugars are through the roof today! It's like her body is saying, "More insulin, please!"

    By Blogger Jamie, at 7/09/2007 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home