Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Christmas Spirit

The day after Halloween, a neighbor behind us put up Christmas lights....and lit them up!!

The day after Thanksgiving, the entire neighborhood had been ignited with Christmas lights.

I didn't have Christmas Spirit last year. I just didn't have it in me. It was a struggle to buy a tree, string the lights, decorate it. I put my Christmas knick knacks up and cut some greenery for the fireplace mantle, but it was so mechanical....I did it for the kids really.

This year though, I've got that Christmas Spirit....hot diggity dog.

One thing I refuse to do is buy Martha Stewart's Christmas issue magazine and follow her painstakingly detailed instructions on how to make ornaments and cookies and such.

One year she had an article about making sparkly animal ornaments. It seemed nice and on the cheap. I made templates and began tracing the animals.

But when it came to cutting them out....it took friggin FOREVER!! I decided to complete a few by dipping them in the white sparkles just to get the full effect of my efforts. I have to say that this project bit the big one! Not only were there sparkles everywhere and all over me, but there were so many little nooks and crannys to cut that I lost patience and by the 5th animal, threw everything out.

Another year, she had instructions on making ornaments out of old Christmas cards. We didn't really get that many....we had just moved here and I hadn't had a chance to send everyone our change of address. It wasn't worth making ornaments out of two measly cards....plus we didn't have a tree because we moved into the house on December 23rd.

This year will be different though. I'm going to splurge on buying evergreen swags to drape on the front porch banisters....I'll place greenery and candles on the mantle....and I'll spring for a nice tree topper.....finally, I'll buy some nice table centerpieces.

And then, I'll regret every last bit of what I've done because it'll have to be all cleaned up and packed away.

Ugh.....

5 Comments:

  • This is how I know I'm really depressed - I have NO Christmas spirit. Just the thought of doing anything Christmassy makes me shudder.
    Thank goodness I'm getting some little happy pills today - hopefully they kick in in time. Right now, I out-Scrooge Scrooge. I make The Grinch look like a swell guy. Oy.

    I never read Martha Stewart. I admire her, but man, she can make me feel incompetent in about three seconds. I have to keep reminding myself that she has a staff helping her do all these lovely things, otherwise I'd run down to Connecticut and give her a slap. :D

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 11/28/2006 9:54 AM  

  • I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the happy pills work for you!!

    As for Martha, everything she does is so damned time consuming. NOTHING she puts in her magazine is convenient.

    I'll hold her down while you give her a good old fashioned bitch slap, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/28/2006 10:15 AM  

  • Add me to the bitch slapping session please. I guess if I had a staff of 100 working behind me I'd be eating gourmet meals every night and my house would be immaculate. BAH! (but yet, I still watch her show ...)

    I'm glad you got the ol' Christmas spirit back this year. How's the shopping coming along??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/28/2006 11:35 AM  

  • Shopping?? Fuuuuck.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/28/2006 11:40 AM  

  • In france people start setting up Christmas a week or so before Christmas...but they keep Christmas "up" until mid January.

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 11/29/2006 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home