Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

6 Pages A Day

Last night at dinner, I was thinking that I need to get involved with something to exercise my brain. I really enjoyed the Write Short, Write Quick writing workshop I took over the summer and thought something like that would do me good.

So while looking up courses on the New Hampshire Writers' Workshop Project I came across an event called the National Novel Writing Month.

If you're interested, you can still sign up as it starts November 1st. So from November 1st to the 30th, the object of the event is to write a 175 page-50,000 word novel in any genre. It doesn't have to be any good. So don't worry about content. The focus is on quantity, not quality. It's a great exercise for people who've always wanted to write a book, but were just too intimidated by the volume of work they'd have to produce. This allows you to dip your foot in the water without having to worry about whether you know how to swim. It's also good for accomplished authors to keep their writing in play when they have writer's block or whatever else is stopping them from writing the next novel.

I have a short story that I wrote for the writing workshop I took and got really good feedback from the other class members who wanted me to write more about it...sort of flesh out the story and reveal more about each of the scenes I wrote about.

If I am to accomplish this task, I'd have to write 6 pages a day.....

9 Comments:

  • Shannon,
    Thats great! I know exactly how you feel, thats why I started taking drawing classes again and even knitting... Just call me grannie!! hahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2006 8:54 AM  

  • Gina,

    I'm actually really excited to start this. I was thinking of taking drawing or even painting classes....the creative side of my brain is screaming for something to do!

    And I love cross stitching...that's pretty grannyish too, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/31/2006 8:57 AM  

  • I can't believe you're going to attempt this. Good for you! Just the thought of it makes me break out in a cold sweat.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 10/31/2006 9:09 AM  

  • I really don't know what I'm in for which is why I'm attempting it, LOL.

    It's all for shits and giggles. It'll be fun to see if I can accomplish it and what I'd write.

    Tonight at midnight is the start!!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10/31/2006 10:37 AM  

  • I read about this a while back, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to devote to it right now. I wrote a young adult novel several years ago but couldn't get it published (maybe there's a reason for that?) so I know what goes into it and the frustration level it can produce.

    Let us know how it goes for you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2006 10:11 PM  

  • I think that sounds very cool.

    I would bet that once you start the writing, you will be on a roll! Those pages will fly under your fingers without you even having to think through it.

    Keep us posted!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 10/31/2006 10:52 PM  

  • I am doing the NaNoWriMo thing as well! Should be fun!

    It coincides well with a writing class that I am taking as well. Didn't realize it was 6 pages a day. Guess I will end up having a lot of catching up to do!

    By Blogger shayze, at 11/01/2006 12:12 AM  

  • Cap, thanks :)

    Scott, it would be nice to think it would go along like that...we'll see :)

    Shayze, good luck and have fun too!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/01/2006 1:08 AM  

  • I'm making an attempt at NaNoWriMo. Mind you, I haven't started yet. And mind you, it's now 2 in the morning. And I have to work tomorrow.

    Shit. I think I might be screwed on this one. ;)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 11/01/2006 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home