Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, October 26, 2006

I often wonder what Brendon will be like as an adult. I imagine his personality will carry through until then, but I wonder how his personality will affect relationships with people, his job, his home life, his diabetes management.

Brendon is one tenacious kid. He never backs down, he holds his ground even when he's wrong about something, and he rides me when he wants something until I give in from sheer exhaustion or until I blow up at him because sending him to his room or taking away his favorite thing doesn't work.

When he comes home from school, he immediately wants me to help him with his homework and will actually perform extra tasks to supplement his homework. For instance, he'll take home 15 spelling words that he needs to practice. Perhaps the teacher will say draw 5 pumpkins and pick 5 words to write in the inside of the pumpkins. He'll instead draw 15 pumpkins to fit all 15 words. He told me he wanted to write a book about patterns because they'll be learning about patterns today and wanted to show the class his book. He wrote a 20 page book with a different pattern on each page. He enjoys every subject he's taught and does extremely well in all of them. Last year, his kindergarten teacher said that if they offered advanced classes in that grade, he would've been in every one of them.

He's certainly passionate about the things that interest him. He loves baseball. He loves to watch it on TV and to play it as well. He'll ask everyone, including me, to play catch with him or to pitch so that he can hit. I have to stop him after a while because he could literally play for hours without taking a break.

When it comes to managing his diabetes, he's enthusiastic. He lectures me about giving him too much junk food (no, I don't, but he feels the need to remind me). He loves to test his blood sugars and we play a game to see who can guess what the number will be. He's the most competitive person I've ever met and will proceed to dance around if he guessed the closest number, and then will proceed to rub his win in my face. He doses himself, and if there is something I need to do like cut back his basal rate, or give him an extended bolus, he wants to observe so that he can learn how to do it.

As a toddler, no more than 2 years old, there were instances that gave me a peak into his future and how relationships with people would work for him:

He and I were at the supermarket. He was sitting in the front seat of the cart and as I was checking out the dairy case, a woman approached us and started to comment on what a beautiful boy he was. She got close to his face to start coochie-cooing him. He reached out and started to caress her cheek...you could see her melting under his touch. Then, to me it looked to be in slow motion, he reached back and slapped the daylights out of her. She stood ramrod straight with a big bright red spot on her cheek, her eyes wide, her face stunned. I was completely mortified and began to reprimand him, pretty badly considering he wasn't yet two. The woman smiled again and said "Oh don't worry, he's so cute he could slap me anytime." I thought to myself, "My god, this kid is going to get away with murder when he's older."

Another instance was when we were at a library story hour. Before the stories began, there would be play time. There was an area set up with paper and crayons and Brendon waddled over, layed on his stomach, and started coloring away. A little boy came over sat across from Brendon and was being pretty bratty...taking crayons away from kids, generally disturbing everyone. Brendon reached across and offered him a crayon, but the kid brushed his hand away, knocking the crayon out of Brendon's hand. Being the tenacious kid that he is, Brendon calmly, and slowly began to push the crayon toward the boy, inch by inch. Brendon would look at the crayon, push it, and then he'd look at the boy. He repeated this over and over until the crayon lay in front of the boy. Everyone, including the boy, watched this whole process....no one said a word....we were mesmerized. The boy then quietly picked up the crayon and began coloring, calmly, quietly. I thought "Damn, this kid might make a great police negotiator (or whatever those people are called) to subdue a crazed maniac holding up a bank."

A third instance happened when we were at a play group. Typically toddlers, when they see something they want, just go over and take it, no matter where it is or who is using it at the time. Brendon saw a toy he wanted, but a boy was already playing with it. Brendon tried to grab it, but the kid held on and wouldn't let go. Brendon walked away and came back with another toy. He held it out to the boy and then pointed to the toy the boy held. The boy's mother exclaimed "Brendon wants to make a trade! I've never seen a kid do that before!" And the boy traded toys with him. I thought "He's going to make a good business man...getting people to do what he wants."

I don't know how many times perfect strangers would walk up to him to comment on his cuteness and every time, Brendon would offer his hand to shake. Interestingly enough, every stranger would say "This kid is going to be President someday."

I know that whatever he does, it'll be done because he's passionate about it and it will make him happy and that he'll be just fine.

7 Comments:

  • Your boy is simply amazing!

    I laughed my pants off picturing him smack the lady in the store!

    My son, when we was little, was in the shopping cart practicing counting his numbers with his fingers. I looked back after a few seconds and he said "ONE!" - proudly flipping the lady behind us the bird. It was too funny not to laugh!

    I sure hope to get the pleasure to meet your little guy someday - I'm sure he could teach me a thing or two!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 10/26/2006 11:25 AM  

  • Sounds like he's going to be an awesome adult.

    Nobody will take advantage of him....nosiree! With brains and charm to boot, maybe he will be some kind of entrepreneur or something.

    Wait, if he won't back down even when he's wrong....maybe...even......................PRESIDENT! ;-)

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 10/26/2006 2:30 PM  

  • I stick to my original assessment: The kid is SuperMan.

    (And he is awfully cute, to boot. All of your kids are exquisite.)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 10/26/2006 3:44 PM  

  • The boy is unreal!!!

    And as his father, my son is my HERO!!!!

    Thanks shan for writing such a wonderful essay about him.

    Love,
    Me

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/26/2006 7:15 PM  

  • Wow! That was a simply amazing post. I am glad you dropped by my iste today so that i couldread yours.
    I honestly stopped twice to wipe away tears. Once for laughing so hard and the other for reading how passionate you are about your boy, it just hit home. I can see her doing the same things as Brendon. Your boy is absolutely tremendous. But where it all starts is with you.
    I wish you lived in Winnipeg ( iknow you dont but...) Emma and Brendon would thrive off of each other.
    Your talking about him reminded me about Emma this morning. I asked her where would you like your insulin today? She took off her jammie tops (keep in mind she is only 22 months) and said her arm. So she watched as i administered it, and when we were done she wanted her other arm done too.
    Thank you for that awesome post. I will be back here soon.
    Chris

    By Blogger Chris, at 10/26/2006 9:28 PM  

  • Shannon,
    Thank you for sharing this about Brendon. I feel like I know all the kids in the OC, but this helps me feel like I know him a little better.

    I too couldn't help but laugh when you wrote about him slapping the lady in the grocery store. I bet you were mortified.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 10/27/2006 9:04 AM  

  • Wow. He sounds like a wonderful little boy - and I love the name Brendon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2006 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home