Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, November 09, 2006

D-Blog Day...Ramblings

This morning Brendon came to me and said he slept in three different places.

First, his bed; second, the floor in my bedroom; and third, the couch.

He played musical beds because he wet all three. He told me this at 6 a.m. I checked his glucose because I had a niggling feeling he was high. He clocked in at a 329. Yup, that says it all.

The things we take for granted....going to bed, sleeping without incident, waking up, eating breakfast, running after a ball, eating popcorn at a movie.

The things my son needs to be tested during, and what I worry about for fear of him running too low or too high....going to bed, waking up, eating breakfast, sleeping without incident, running after a ball, eating popcorn at a movie.

I have my moments when I believe in God and moments when I don't.

So I can't blame God for giving my son a disease that renders him at the mercy of skull splitting headaches, crippling lethargy, humiliating bed wetting, patience unknown to kids without diabetes which is needed when having to be tested before eating when he's hungry.

Today I met with Brendon's teacher for a parent/teacher conference. She was all praise and was amazed at his intelligence and his gift for math as well as his higher level of reading compared to other classmates. He loves math, he loves to write stories, he loves to read and learn and absorb. Information is all but devoured by this boy.

She said: "Whatever you're doing at home, keep doing it."

I said: "It's mostly Brendon. He propels himself. He's extremely self motivating."

If today I believed in God, I would have to say that maybe he chose Brendon to have diabetes....and to make up for his unjust decision, gave him the gifts of incredible resilience and the ability to let the burden of diabetes slide off his back. Maybe God was so generous because he saw all that Brendon was to enjoy through what he was to endure.

24 Comments:

  • Wow. Thats an amazing post.

    To me, the worst thing about diabetes-- the miserable nights.

    Dee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2006 2:05 PM  

  • I echo Mr. Herman - amazing post, Shannon.

    SuperMan is a badass kid who I wouldn't hestitate to elect as President. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I saw his name on the ballot someday.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 11/09/2006 2:15 PM  

  • Far from ramblings, Shannon.

    A powerful entry-- and a truly amazing little man.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 11/09/2006 2:33 PM  

  • Agreed! Amazing entry Shannon.

    I can't wait to see what SuperMan grows up to be.

    tek

    By Blogger Tekakwitha, at 11/09/2006 2:41 PM  

  • I believe in God and I do believe that He gave me diabetes because He knew what the disease was going to allow me to do. I believe the same for all of us, even if we don't want to acknowledge that because the pain can be too much to bear.

    Our SuperMan is going to go very far, and I can hear him stomping his feet all the way to the Oval Office. :-)

    By Blogger Allison, at 11/09/2006 2:58 PM  

  • I was listening to this song this morning while running that contained the lyrics, "...if God made you, he's in love with me."

    I thought, wow, what a complement, yet at the same time how self-centered. Ah well!

    As for Brandon, I am almost sure that your final analysis must be correct!!

    Happy D-Blog Day, Shannon!

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 11/09/2006 5:25 PM  

  • sheesh...now, who's rambling, eh?

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 11/09/2006 5:26 PM  

  • Great post Shannon.

    I wish I lived closer so I could meet Mr. Superman himself :D He sounds like a terrific kid (and smart as a whip!).

    Thanks for posting about this - I'm loving all these stories we're posting about today :)

    Take care.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2006 6:02 PM  

  • The things we take for granted, indeed. Thanks for sharing tales of your little superman!

    By Blogger Kassie, at 11/09/2006 7:39 PM  

  • Shannon,
    Your posts are simply awesome.
    I check your blog even before i check my email sometimes.
    I believe that everyone on here has been touched by your stories "ramblings" if you will.
    You inspire me.
    Chris

    By Blogger Chris, at 11/09/2006 9:23 PM  

  • What an amazing thing it is to see a parent come to terms with their child's illness, accept it, etc. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2006 9:31 PM  

  • Brandon sounds like a truly amazing kid.i

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2006 9:40 PM  

  • A beautiful entry - for a beautiful boy - from his beautiful mom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2006 10:00 PM  

  • Our d kids amaze me on a daily basis.

    Great post, Shannon.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 11/09/2006 10:34 PM  

  • Shannon,
    They say into every life a little rain must fall. We just got caught in the storm. Your son is learning to be very resilient.

    Happy D-blog day to you indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2006 2:00 AM  

  • Maybe I can be sidekick to Superman. SuperMan and his OCD freakshow SuperGeorge!

    You are an awesome mom and an insipring person. thank you so much for sharing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2006 2:13 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/10/2006 6:59 AM  

  • You guys are so awesome. The OC rules! We're all so lucky to have each other.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/10/2006 7:01 AM  

  • There is no shock here that Superman is so smart, he takes after his mom. You were one of the first people to comment me when I started my blog and I have not stopped loving your blog since that day when I found it. You have a lovely family.
    Viv

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2006 9:51 AM  

  • Shannon I ditto every other commentor here in some way or another!
    You amaze me!
    Hugs and kisses to Brendon!!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 11/10/2006 1:29 PM  

  • Vivian, I remember that....us parents have a strong connection :)

    Big H, That's exactly what it's all about...compensating and not allowing a weakness to rule.

    Corey, thanks :))))))

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/10/2006 4:09 PM  

  • Incredible post. Just incredible.

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 11/10/2006 5:18 PM  

  • Thanks Scott :)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/11/2006 8:18 AM  

  • I think this is a wonderful way to look at it. I haven’t questioned much why Gracie was chosen for diabetes, or for that matter why I was. I do know that Gracie, at age 3, is at the same level academically (essentially) as her six year old brother is. I think that is awesome, and maybe you are right, these kids are given other gifts that make having the diabetes just be okay.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/22/2006 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home