Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Generation Gap? There's No Such Thing

I love the way my kids bring out the kid in me. I get their humor. I get their fascination with simple things. I just get it.

Here are a few moments that illustrate my point:

Moment #1:

Jacob: "Boys have a peanuts and girls have 'ginas".

Me: "Hahaha, boys have a peanuts...that's funny."



Moment #2:

The kids are all in bed and I'm in my room changing into my pajamas. I hear a bedroom door open, and then pitterpatter of feet running down the stairs and across the floor in the kitchen.

I go down to the familyroom to see Jessica on the couch underneath the covers, watching a show on Nickelodeon that we never turned off.

Me: "Jessica, what are you doing down here."

Jessica: "I heard thumping in my room and then my bed started wiggling and then I got out of bed and looked underneath and I saw a monster."

Me: "Ooh, really?!! What did the monster look like?"

Jessica: "It was brown", she says distractedly, as she cranes her neck so that she could watch the show I'm standing in the way of.

I'm a little disappointed that she didn't get more descriptive because I'm always fascinated with what goes through their little brains....and then something strikes me about her story....

Me: "Hahaha, your bed was wiggling...that's funny."



Moment #3

Brendon: "Can you teach me how to blow a bubble?"

Me: "Yeah sure, go get some gum for us."

Brendon goes through the Halloween stash. Jessica and Jacob want in on the action. Here I am priming the gum while my students watch on:



Through all of the chaos and stress and demands that kids have the knack of putting me through each day, it's moments like these when I say to myself, "This is why I had kids". I'd go through the worst of the worst just to be given a chance to laugh at something funny they've said or participate in something they're curious about. Being a parent is pretty cool. Being a parent is a privilege.

15 Comments:

  • When I read a post like this, I really wish I had kids. Not having kids wasn't something I planned but something that just happened. I feel I've missed out on a lot. Maybe you could rename Jessica Cappie Jr so I'd feel better? ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/04/2006 4:51 PM  

  • That's great stuff there!

    Kids almost always have a way to make you laugh.

    My daughter says a lot of her "d's" as "th's". So, for example she'll say "colth" instead of "cold", and "olther" instead of "older", etc.

    It actually sounds pretty close, but if you watch her say it you can catch it. My wife and I are always getting her to say words with "d's" in them so we can have a little giggle.

    We're all kids inside I say!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 11/04/2006 5:12 PM  

  • I'll call her Cappie from now on. If I hire you to babysit, I'll bet you'll be cured of the "I really wish I had kids" syndrome, LOL.

    Scott, I'm trying to talk like your daughter right now because I couldn't imagine how those words sound...it's so unusual to say th's instead of d sounds. Kids are good for making fun of (in the guise of adorable entertainment of course).

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/04/2006 6:14 PM  

  • Boo's favourite food right now is applesauce. She says "appalaaaaaah!" all. the. time. Today at the market, a woman asked her what her name was. Her answer? "Appalaaaah!" So, yeah. My daughter's name is applesauce. I guess I should have called the other one pork chops.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 11/04/2006 7:08 PM  

  • Pork chopsh and apple shaush, gee thatsh shwell...

    Sorry, couldn't resist the Brady Bunch reference. (does anyone know who said that?)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/04/2006 7:12 PM  

  • I've tried to block out all memories of the Brady Bunch but it was probably Cindy. I said that with some authority, didn't I? LOL I have no idea ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/04/2006 7:29 PM  

  • LOL, no, Cindy didn't say it.

    Next....

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/05/2006 8:15 AM  

  • My next guess is Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby, Carol, Mike or Alice. Or Sam the butcher. Or the dog Tiger.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2006 11:10 AM  

  • I love overhearing children's conversations, the real truth is there tide up with gum, monsters and sex education! I love it!!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 11/05/2006 2:22 PM  

  • The conversations that the kids have with each other is something else too!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/05/2006 6:37 PM  

  • Cap, you guessed right on one of them ;)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/05/2006 6:41 PM  

  • Peter, right? Wasn't he the Pork Chops and Appleshauce one?

    Ahh, the Brady Bunch. What a tangled group of chaos that was.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 11/05/2006 11:30 PM  

  • Ding ding ding...we have a winnah!

    Yes, it was the episode when he was impersonating Humphrey Bogart.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/06/2006 6:54 AM  

  • I see that you REALLY enjoy being a mom!
    Came in from Corey's and I see that you and I enjoy the same autumn scent of "raked burning leaves!" :)

    By Blogger Naturegirl, at 11/06/2006 7:41 AM  

  • Hi! Thanks for visiting....

    Never mind the leaves changing color...burning leaves are what tells me Autumn is Here!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/06/2006 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home