Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

From One Extreme....

Brendon's numbers can make you feel like you're on top of the world one minute and then an abysmal failure the next. My opinion about Brendon's numbers is that anything between a 70 and 199 are great numbers for his age.

Yesterday for instance, he was a 137 for breakfast, a 98 for lunch, a 96 at 2:30 for snack, and then a 464 at dinner. WTF!! He didn't eat anything that would kick it up that high, no bubbles in his line. His body just felt like being high is the only explanation I can come up with. Correction was done at dinner and at 9 pm he was a 61. Slipped him some juice and then he's a 137 by 10 pm. Better, but not safe enough for overnight, so we cut back his basal by 50% for 3 hours. At 1:15 am, he's a 142 which is fine because he's at a low enough basal where we couldn't cut back a substantial amount and he has a history of holding level at those hours until he wakes.

Today was the kicker. Breakfast is a 174. A few hours after, and well before lunch, he comes to me whining and whimpering that he's hungry. That whining and whimpering alerts me to suspect a low, so I test him and he's a 41. Where the hell did that come from? He didn't have anything unusually low in carbs for breakfast, I dosed him correctly, WTF?! So I gave him lunch along with a couple of glucose tabs. I did't check him again until snacktime at school because he ate everything but the kitchen sink, so I was confident that he'd hold at a decent number until I came to the school to test him before snack. He's a 96 at snack. OK fine. Then dinner arrives and he's a 101. Niiiice. We ordered Chinese takeout for dinner, but didn't feel like dealing with lo mein (it acts just like pizza for Brendon and I KNOW you all know what pizza does to blood sugars), so we ordered steamed chicken and broccoli with white rice for the kids thinking it was a safe meal. Then Jeff checks him at 9 pm and he's a 368. WTF again!! I assumed he checked for bubbles, but I guess he didn't because he would've discovered the inch long monster snaking its way through the line. At 11 pm, I checked Brendon and he's a 409. That's a result of that monster making its way through the line and stopping up the insulin. I did a 50% correction, so we'll see how he does come morning.

Now I'm wired and am not sure when I'll finally fall asleep.

Note to Johnboy: I worked in a 30 minute workout in addition to watching American Idol.

8 Comments:

  • Ping ponging numbers SUCK beyond comprehension for everyone involved. Moms have to watch the chaos unfold and try and bat clean up, while the kid housing The D endures anything from sweaters on their teeth from the high to clammy, numb mouths from the low.

    No semblance of fun there.

    And if I see one more air bubble in my pump tubing, I will launch that expensive device off the nearest bridge.

    ... only to have to scramble maniacally down the embankment and into the water to rescue it. Might rethink that one.

    Congrats on the exercise regimen. Add another 3 minutes to your cardio and Larry Bird just might call your house. ;O)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 2/23/2006 12:06 AM  

  • Ooh!! I'll definitely add 3 minutes then!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/23/2006 12:42 AM  

  • Bubbles! Our nemesis! Chinese has been a problem for us, though, you wouldn't think "steamed" would be a problem. She wouldn't even touch steamed. I did read that the rice they use -- I think they call it "sticky" rice -- might be 70 grams a cup! But when dosing you have to be certain so you can't dose 70 without absolute certainty. I don't know WHAT they do when they cook it! I recently prepared a recipe for Chinese Chicken and broccoli and it was very easy. At the point where it called for 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1/3 cup cold water (which thickens the sauce), I added 1/3 cup of the Heinz chicken gravy (3 grams) instead. The cornstarch can be a problem for them with Chinese dishes. This is done at the very end of cooking it -- the last step. I served it over Uncle Ben's converted white rice. I will get you the recipe and blog it here. I would leave out the ginger if you can't get fresh and also reduce ginger. I used ground ginger and it seeped strongly into the broccoli and made the broccoli taste weird. She ate the chicken, rice and gravy part. Of course, this defeats the point of fast food -- you have to cook it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 9:46 AM  

  • If I do 49 minutes, do you think Tim Wakefield might call me?


    I absolutely loathe days like that, Shannon. Poor kid, he must have felt like stale butt. How are his numbers today?

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 2/23/2006 9:48 AM  

  • Anon, I'd love to have the recipe. There's gotta be more carbs in sticky rice since it has more starch.

    Julia, Brendon was actually in good spirits except for the low, and he recovered quickly once he ate something. At the time he was high, he was asleep, so he didn't feel the effects. We can get him to drink and eat while he sleeps, so he never really woke to feel the effects of the high.

    Today is fine. So far so good. Jeff tested him at 7:10 am and he was a 94. He gave him something to eat and when I tested him an hour later, he was a 164.

    He is now interrupting me asking for a snack, so I'm off to see what he is...hopefully not low.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/23/2006 10:29 AM  

  • God. I hate those days.

    That we have to handle them is not fair. That Brendon has you there through them will mean the world.

    A lot of times when I think of low bloodsugar moments in the early years with the disease -- what I remember most is my mom's face, her telling me I'd be OK, her giving me some juice, some crackers... Her easy, slow, soft voice easily outweighs the fear I must have felt during those reactions. I bet Brendon too will remember your dealings with days like yesterday more than he will the bad feelings/difficulty.

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 2/23/2006 3:03 PM  

  • Hang in there, Shannon. Those kinds of days and nights are the pits.

    I know.

    But you were so on top of it. Brendon is very lucky to have you.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 2/23/2006 6:42 PM  

  • Hey Shannon! Diabetes is sooooo frustrating some days.

    Congrats on sticking to your workout stuff. I kind of agree with Kerri on the timing. You know 3 minutes is only 10% more. :)

    Hey, nice NEW blog btw...just stumbled across it!

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 2/23/2006 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home