Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Day 1 of My Workout Streak-Monday

Wow, one whole day, can you beleive it?!! Hopefully I can keep this up! LOL.

Yesterday was the official start of my workout streak. I mapped out my weight lifting routine and figured I'd do my cardio during the day so that I'd have time at night to devote to the weights.

So early in the day, while Jeff was at the gym, I popped in a video hoping that the kids would cooperate and let me workout without interruption. It started off great. Jessica and Jacob were playing in the play room and Brendon was working out with me, following all of the moves. Typically he throws toys at my feet to trip me up, but I think he's maturing a little since he turned six (eye roll).

When my heart rate was just getting to that fat burning stage, I hear a thump and then some some screaming coming from the playroom. Apparently, Jacob climbed onto the TV hutch and fell off into a pile of toys on the floor. He was fine, but he had a poopy diaper, so between that and putting a bandaid on his pretend boo boo and then the kids wanting a snack, the workout flew out the window.

So, I left my cardio for after dinner. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical in the privacy of my basement. I kept the resistance at 4, the speed at 62 RPM (2 minute warmup, 5 minute cool down). Then Jeff had to take Brendon to Karate, so I had to save my weights for after Jacob went to bed. By 9:30 pm I had completed a weight lifting routine that worked my chest, shoulders, and triceps in one group and the next group included back, and biceps (16 in all).

I alternated between 5 and 8 lbs. depending on the body part, but all of the sets and reps were 3/8.

Today I feel good, but I have a feeling I'll start feeling sore tomorrow, so I'll pop a couple Advil today to ward off any impending soreness.

Today I'll attempt the video while Bren and Jess are at school and see how it goes. Otherwise it'll be the same routine on the elliptical. Weight routine includes a group of exercises that work the calves and abs and then another that works the butt and thighs.

2 Comments:

  • Shannon, great to see that you are off an running (and lifting, etc. etc.)

    It seems that your environment is prone to obtacles, so that makes your effort even more impressive! Finding that quiet time and place will no doubt be important.

    Regarding the weights, I found that when first starting out it was helpful to rotate the muscle groups AND take a rest day inbetween lifting days. I was really sore the first week.

    Once my body got used to the additional stress of weights, I was able to rotate between 3 muscle groups and do them all twice per week over 6 days.

    Cheers!
    Johnboy

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 2/21/2006 1:20 PM  

  • I'll be alternating days with the muscle groups. So far I'm feeling fine.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/21/2006 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home