Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, February 10, 2006

My Bad

As I was getting Brendon ready for school just now, he asked me what I gave him for a snack today. I told him a granola bar and a juice box. He informed me that the snack I gave him for school yesterday was too long.

Me: What do you mean? It took you too long to eat it?

Brendon: Yeah, and I had to miss outside play.

Me: Why did you have it yesterday? I thought outside play was on Fridays.

Brendon: It was too nice to stay in, so everyone went out but me.

I feel really bad for that. I gave him a snack sized bag of pretzels and peanut butter to dip them. I didn't realize that it would take a long time to eat. The reason he stayed in is because the school nurse waits for him to finish his snack before she doses him. So because of what I gave him, it took him too long to eat it. And you guessed it, he had to finish so that the nurse didn't have to figure out the carbs based on what he didn't finish.

It took a few minutes for this pleasant revelation to dawn on me though: He blamed me for him not being able to go outside, not his diabetes. He never once said that he wished he didn't have diabetes so that he wouldn't have to be dosed and not miss playing outside. Instead he blamed me for giving him a snack that took him too long to eat. How well adjusted is that!?

7 Comments:

  • Very, very well-adjusted.

    Shannon, you're doing a wonderful job with that boy.

    Just wonderful.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 2/10/2006 1:41 PM  

  • Thanks Sandra :) (my smile is beaming)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/10/2006 1:50 PM  

  • The class has snacktime and he's on the pump, so he has to be dosed.

    I'll just make a point to prepare a snack that can be quickly eaten.

    He's an excellent eater, but if it's something like raisins or in this case, pretzel nibblers, he takes forever to eat because he'll eat one at a time and won't start on another until he's completely finished chewing.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/11/2006 9:28 AM  

  • Little boys and the need to run and play! How smart of him to express his need, Shorter snack Mom! And the trust he has in you to hear his need!
    If only we could live on love, he wouldn't need to be dosed with medicine nor be late for recess!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 2/11/2006 2:33 PM  

  • That's wonderfull. He must have an awesome roll model. :-)

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 2/11/2006 5:54 PM  

  • You know what's hysterical? The fact that you are psyched that he blames YOU. Any parent of a kid without D would be like "Dood, just eat faster, it's not my fault you eat too slow." Us? We're high-fiving each other when WE get blamed instead of the D.

    Weird? Us? Nooooooo.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 2/13/2006 11:54 AM  

  • Julia,

    I was thinking the same thing while writing the post, LMAO.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/13/2006 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home