Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, February 20, 2006

Joining Johnboy's Streak


Based on Johnboy's 106 day streak of exercise (until that "unfortunate" accident), and his subsequent re-start, I've been inspired to start a streak of my own.

Although I've been exercising on a weekly basis for the past couple of months, I feel that exercising every day would get me to my goal of losing my pregnancy weight (from two years ago) a lot more quickly. Plus it would be a great example to set for my children, particularly Brendon. Being healthy had never been more crucial since Brendon was diagnosed three years ago.

We had always prepared healthy meals for our kids, but Jeff and I managed to eat not so healthy. Mostly it was not so healthy portions. I don't want Brendon, Jessica, and Jacob to grow up in a house where their parents don't practice what they preach, so, in addition to eating proper portions, Jeff and I had started to exercise on a regular basis after Christmas. Plus I didn't want our children to group up in a Couch Potato family, so another streak is to get the kids to exercise on a daily basis as well. For them it will be fun like dancing to videos or, if weather permits, playing outside.

Since Jeff started exercising, he has lost 47 pounds. His goal is to lose 22 more pounds. He joined a gym and does an hour on the elliptical 6 days a week, plus weight lifting 3 days a week. He counts calories and eats mainly chicken, fish, rice, potatoes, fruits, vegetables, and Egg Beaters.

I started Weight Watchers in September, and I started exercising around the same time as Jeff. I work out at home on the elliptical. Although I do it on a weekly basis, I think it would serve me well to do it on a daily basis. I'll add weight training to the mix and maybe some exercise videos to break up the monotony. So far I've lost close to 20 pounds since September. But I feel I could do much better.

Today is Day 1.

6 Comments:

  • Yes, yes, yes!! Please join in the "fun." :)

    I think it's great what your husband has been able to accomplish as well.

    Since October 30, I have lost something like 35 pounds and am exactly where I want to be weight wise. Now, I am expanding the foods (with the assistance of Symlin to control post-prandial spikes) and am working on redistributing the weight a bit through weight training.

    The daily cardio will continue indefinately.

    I have added you to my links section and also my bloglines list so that I can stay on top of your progress.

    I'm so excited to have a partner!

    Johnboy

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 2/20/2006 12:43 PM  

  • Thanks for adding me Johnboy.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/20/2006 12:59 PM  

  • Man - you all are AWESOME!!!

    We are going to start an exercise revolution! It's so hard to keep it up alone - nice to have all these partners to keep us going.

    The strength training I think is a big piece of it. Those muscles burn a lot of calories all the time (even when you sleep!). Getting a good balance of the cardio and weight training would be the best scenario - but there's only so much time in the day!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 2/20/2006 1:07 PM  

  • Scott,

    You can alternate weight training days with cardio days if time is a factor.

    Since I'm adding weight training, I have to figure out if that will be my approach as well. Like you said, there is only so much time in the day.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/20/2006 1:20 PM  

  • Wow Shannon - your husband is doing great! Weight Watchers is great - as long as you keep at it (I did great while on it, but fell off the bandwagon at xmas time - my bad). Good luck with your new exercise regime!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 2/20/2006 2:38 PM  

  • Weight Watchers can get pretty tedious, and even though I cheat relentlessly, I'm still losing weight. Imagine how well I'd do if I followed the program to a T!

    Once Jeff sets his mind to something, there's no turning back. I'm really proud of what he's done.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/21/2006 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home