Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, June 29, 2008

I Saw Him Cry For the First Time Tonight

The kids and I were watching TV tonight when I turned on dLife. It's the first time since we appeared on the show that Brendon had watched it.

He sat quietly, paying attention to all that was talked about. He asked me what Type 2 diabetes was and if there was a Type 3. I answered the best I could.

He said, "I wish I didn't have diabetes".

And then a clip came on about wondering what it would be like to not have diabetes anymore. A member of the show talked about the promises of a cure. Five years from now there will be one....ten years from now. What would life be like if he didn't have diabetes anymore.

I heard a small whimper and looked over at Brendon.

He was crying...wiping his eyes with the heel of his hand. It was the first time I had ever seen him cry about diabetes. During the six years since being diagnosed, he's never cried about having it.

I asked if the show was upsetting him and he said no. I walked over and sat beside him on the couch, put my arm around his shoulders and let his head lean heavily against my arm. We sat for a little while as I turned the channel, landing on Nickelodeon. I asked again what was upsetting him and if he wanted to talk to me about it.

He said no.

So I turned my attention to what was being shown on TV and saw the middle of this commercial:



Brendon and I looked at each other and laughed.

EDIT: We tested Brendon an hour after the show aired. He was 25. He's been that low before and was completely normal and coherent then and now....which is the scariest thing in my opinion. He said, "Wow. I'm really low. Maybe that's why I was crying before." I said, "So nothing bothered you about the show?" "Naw. Nothing bothered me."

11 Comments:

  • Oh, Shannon. I'm so sorry.

    I hate this. D. I guess I mean.

    But that commercial is fucking funny as hell.

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 6/29/2008 8:39 PM  

  • I was on the verge of tears until reaching the punchline. Isn't it great that kids are so resilient?

    By Blogger ATexan, at 6/29/2008 8:39 PM  

  • I don't remember the first time I cried about diabetes. My earliest recollection was sometime in middle school, so that would have been 2 years at the earliest, and 5 years at the latest. I think the older we get, the more we realize how unfair life can be and that's when the waterworks start to go off. But he has a great support system, so hopefully this will be few and far between.

    By Blogger Allison, at 6/29/2008 8:44 PM  

  • I was "a" 23 today... LOL... Sort of.

    I get emotional too when I'm low - that could've been it, I suppose.

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 6/29/2008 9:54 PM  

  • Shannon -
    I want to just wrap my arms around that kid! He's a awesome!

    I don't remember when I first cried about D, but I do remember my most recent cry about D - it was on Friday ;)
    Crying every now in and the is ok.

    Loved the commercial - LMAO actually.
    k2

    By Blogger k2, at 6/29/2008 10:44 PM  

  • Aw jeez, I hate to think of him being upset and trying to be all "tough" about it, rather than tell you what's on his mind. A low like that can bring out the strangest emotions-I'm sure that's got to be it.
    I have to say, the hairy lollipop dust thing disguted me, and made me laugh like crazy!

    By Blogger Lea, at 6/30/2008 8:00 AM  

  • 25! Holy shit! Really fightening that he wasn't showing signs of it.

    By Blogger Carey, at 6/30/2008 8:44 AM  

  • Poor guy. I hate Diabetes.

    By Blogger George, at 6/30/2008 11:17 AM  

  • Oh man! I hate it when they are sooo low and don't show any signs of it. It's so scary.

    I LOVED the commercial! Too funny.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 6/30/2008 9:02 PM  

  • O does that low with no evidence thing, too. Freaks me right out.

    That commercial was bizarre, man. Completely and utterly bizarre.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 7/01/2008 6:59 PM  

  • Funny commercial, thanks. Sometimes when I get low I get all weepy, I'm sure that's part of what happened. Then of course sometimes (not too much) I get sad because of the big D.

    Hey am I going to finally meet you guys at the diabetes picnic/meetup on July 12th? It would be a lot of fun to say hi in real life.

    By Blogger Bernard, at 7/01/2008 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home