Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, May 12, 2008

Icing On The Cake

Jamie left a comment on my previous Mother's Day Post saying I was treated like a queen. That is for sure. Breakfast in bed, hugs and kisses from everyone. Hardly any fighting amongst the kids. It was the start of a beautiful day.

Brendon and Jeff were invited to go to a Fisher Cats baseball game, so I planned to take Jessica and Jacob to lunch at a lake and then to Charmingfare farm where they have farm animals as well as wild animals like bears and wolves.

I was going to top off the day with a trip to the nursery to buy some flowers and plants. I pictured my idyllic day ending with the smell of the earth and flowers.

Well, we had lunch at the lake (good ole Mickey D's) when Jacob complained his stomach hurt.

I was hoping he wasn't being hit with the same flu that Brendon and Jessica had fought with since Thursday.

He only drank his chocolate milk since his appetite seemed to have left him. He otherwise seemed fine and energetic, so I was hopeful that he was perfectly fine.

We finished lunch and headed over to the farm.

We got there, found an awesome parking spot and trekked across the parking lot.

Suddenly, Jacob lost his lunch....literally.

The poor kid.

We turned around and started walking back to the van only to stop every few seconds to let him puke up some more chocolate milk.

"The chocolate milk didn't work for me", he said between hurls. I just wanted to hug him at that point, but didn't trust the pukefest was over with.

We got him home and inflated the trusty blow up mattress that we use for bedtime when the kids have the stomach flu. It's so easy to clean up!!!

So, he and I spent the remainder of the day laying on the mattress with a pot next to him and with me relaxing, reading "Love in the Time of Cholera".

Later that evening, after Jeff and Brendon got home, we ordered take out for my special Mother's Day dinner. Jacob was feeling lousy, but he was hungry. He was able to keep down water and attempted a couple of bites of dinner, but he just didn't have the strength to finish eating.....

That is until it was time for Sunday night dessert time. He ate a ice cream sandwich which promptly came up into the kitchen sink right when he went over to wash his hands.

"The ice cream didn't work for me", he said between hurls.

The rest of the evening was spent with me laying next to Jake on the blow up mattress as I read some more.

Just the day in the life of a mom.....

7 Comments:

  • As my sister in law told me, when you're a mom, every day is mother's day! I hope Jacob is better today.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 5/12/2008 2:11 PM  

  • poor kiddo! I hope he feels better soon, and that you get some extra pampering to make up for it.

    By Blogger Kassie, at 5/12/2008 2:20 PM  

  • poor kid! I hope he's feeling better.

    By Blogger Lea, at 5/12/2008 2:28 PM  

  • Sorry about the Spring '08 Pukefest. Stinks! Love the air mattress idea. I'm not a big fan of cleaning up throwup.

    By Blogger Carey, at 5/12/2008 4:31 PM  

  • Aw man I remember when we had that bug come through our house. UGH!

    I hope it passes as quickly as ours did (pardon the pun) and its smooth sailing now.

    By Blogger Brett, at 5/12/2008 5:33 PM  

  • Awww, poor Jacob! Sorry the pukefest hadn't ended for Mothers Day :( Kids like to share those bugs with each other - they won't share anything else, but they will share viruses quite nicely!

    Mom's don't really ever get a day off though, do they? Oh well, that's what we do!

    I hope that you get another day to take them out to do some fun stuff soon to make up for it :)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 5/12/2008 10:08 PM  

  • Poor little dude ... and poor you. :( I hope you guys are all freaking healthy soon.

    Oh, and when I saw my mom this past weekend, she says, "I got such a nice email from Shannon!" :) Thank you for thinking of my mom on her birthday. You made her smile.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 5/13/2008 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home