Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Call Me Kevin Bacon.

Winters are prime time for blogging and blog exploring. I liken myself to a spelunker...entering one blog and seeing another to enter into and before I know it, I am hopelessly lost and have no idea how I ended up where I did.

Tonight I was reading a blog that I stumbled across while reading another blog which is one I found while reading a blog I regularly read. Follow?

The blog I was reading tonight had a post about a recent meetup with a friend at a hotel in France for breakfast. The blogger's friend is also a friend to my friend who I visited in France in November. The friend that the blogger met up with had visited my friend in France as well, but last year.

The blogger and my friend don't know each other, either. They are merely seperated by one person. Which is what makes it so crazy.

It blew me away that people I never knew existed at one time, who are halfway across the world, are meeting with people who have met with people I know who live halfway across the world. Follow again?

This blogging world brings me within 6 degrees of seperation from people who I would never have known existed if it weren't for my spelunking ways.

I am also grateful for the fact that it has also brought me in touch with others who I'd have no idea existed if it weren't for blogging.

How would I ever have come across the fact that Brendon will be OK as an adult living with Type 1 diabetes if it weren't for all of the people who are generous enough to share their experiences?

How would I ever have coped with being a parent of a child who has Type 1 diabetes if it weren't for all of the other parents who are brave enough to share the vulnerability that they can't/won't/shouldn't share with their children?

I have been lucky enough to form great friendships as a result.

With the burden we bear, I am especially lucky to be a part of a blogging community with all of us sharing information with each other to make our lives a little more convenient, a little less worrisome and to give us much more hope.

I am never alone even when I am.

14 Comments:

  • It's these strange "small world" moments that show us how connected we really are. I love this post.

    By Blogger Amberthyme, at 4/08/2008 2:04 AM  

  • Amazing.

    I'm with you. Blogging has introduced me to way too many great people, including yourself. I think of everyone as my blogging family.

    I think we're all blessed, despite the burden of dealing with diabetes. There I go again, repeating myself.

    Shannon you know we need to arrange a meeting of NH/MA bloggers. It's silly that we're all so close together and we've not met.

    Maybe something for the summertime when we may actually be able to carve out a little time.

    By Blogger Bernard, at 4/08/2008 6:15 AM  

  • Right back at ya. Thanks for being there.

    By Blogger Carey, at 4/08/2008 7:44 AM  

  • Amber,
    Thanks :) It also shows how small the world can be!

    Bernard,
    Why don't we set up a date and announce it. This way people can mark their calendars before it gets filled up.

    Carey,
    Thanks to you too, kid ;)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4/08/2008 7:48 AM  

  • You've summed it up perfectly. Every blogger's voice provides something special, and the connection is amazing. I know that I am thankful every day for what this community has been able to provide me.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 4/08/2008 9:31 AM  

  • Wouldn't it be weird if you ran into someone you know while spelunking?

    This blogging stuff is amazing. I agree.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 4/08/2008 11:16 AM  

  • Shannon -
    Blogging rocks! Your right, it is a small world and the members of our blogging family continue to grow every day. The friendships & the knowledge I've gained cannot be replaced!

    How bout a Diabetes Blogger Spelunking excursion!?

    Imagine the possibilities, pumps beeping,spiked juice boxes for the adults, Smarties for one and all, and imagine the awesome posts that we'd all get out of it! ;)
    k2

    By Blogger k2, at 4/08/2008 11:58 AM  

  • blogging sometimes has its unexpected benefits as well ;)

    By Blogger Albert, at 4/08/2008 2:36 PM  

  • wow.... but meeting in France? That is pretty amazing.

    K2, "Diabetes Blogger Spelunking" brings a HUGE smile to my face. That is quite a phrase

    By Blogger Adam Greene, at 4/08/2008 5:49 PM  

  • Shannon - I am so glad I found the blogging world. I have learned so much from so many people. I never knew what good parents of kids with diabetes went through until I "met" you and others. It is quite an education & a fun ride every day. I love it!

    By Blogger Donna, at 4/08/2008 9:41 PM  

  • Great post, Shannon. And I consider you, among a few others, some of the best people blogging has to offer.

    So rock on to you, like your a MS wearing tevas like there's no tomorrow.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 4/10/2008 10:19 PM  

  • Shoot - "like you're a," not "your a." And I'm an editor ... aw fuck it.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 4/10/2008 10:20 PM  

  • Gee...I thought I was the only person in the world to do this.(Yeah right). I love 'splunking' around the blogs on the www. My husband gets impatient with me when I get online in the evenings. Sometimes I look up and 2 hours have gone by.

    Thanks for the post and for all of the support. If I had not found the diabetes OC I don't even want to think about how much more horrible this last year would have been.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 4/14/2008 8:46 AM  

  • I like my bacon extra crispy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/14/2008 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home