Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Virtual Nutritionist

Brendon's endocrinologist AND, as of yesterday, his pediatrician have mentioned concern with Brendon's elevated cholesterol and weight. His pediatrician is awesome and I love that he wants every part of Brendon's health, both physically and emotionally, to be just right. I LOVE that.

In any case, I try to be careful about what I buy at the supermarket. I read labels and reject anything with trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. I travel the outer trail of the supermarket, buying the majority of items...whole foods as close to its natural state as possible with as little ingredients listed as possible. But, somtimes I buy things that aren't the best choices....like short-cut foods.

*There are nights when I serve Stove Top Stuffing instead of potatoes.

*I let the kids indulge in cheese cheese glorious cheese when they hound me relentlessly for a snack and I hope that all of that fat and protein suppresses their appetite until dinner is served....20 minutes later.

*I occasionally buy the 100 calorie snack bags for the times when I don't feel like doling out snacks by hand weighing them on the scale and calculating the carbs.

And *gasp* I let Brendon eat school lunches every. single. day.

But, things must change.

At Brendon's last endo appointment, his Doc pointed out that his cholesterol is elevated. She asked what I could do to improve his diet. She also suggested that we make an appointment with his nutritionist to see during his next endo checkup in 3 months.

When I took Brendon to his yearly pediatrician physical, yesterday, we found that:

His height is in the 90th percentile.

His weight....the 97th.

I'm not one of those delusional mothers whose children are clearly obese but claim that their child isn't fat, he's just big boned.

But, I will say that his skeletal and muscular frame is ginormous. My neighbor, whose son is Brendon's best friend, always tells me that she is in awe of his physique and claims he looks like a 15 year old.

Brendon is not obese, btw. He's a big kid, though. And yes, he does have a bit of excess fat on him, but I don't think it's something he won't grow into.

At the rate he is growing, he eats like an adult, but I KNOW that he indulges in snacks too much. Based on his carb intake during meals, I know that his calorie intake is pretty on par with what he should be taking in. So, the snacking has to be tightened up.

I will talk to the nutritionist about whether his weight is OK. I gather she'll tell us it could be taken down a notch.

I enjoy dealing with nutrition, reading about it, figuring out ways to improve it for everyone in my family. In fact, being a nutrionist is something I'm mulling around as a career for when it's time for me to return to work in a couple of years. Must get degree first!

In the meantime, I have already eliminated cheese. He drinks skim milk at every meal, so no worries about getting enough calcium.

I will start to make school lunches...blaaah.

And I will make potatoes instead of Stove Top stuffing.

9 Comments:

  • Oh the joys, huh?

    I'm sure a nutritionist could have a heyday in our house if he/she were to raid it. Your post has prompted me to take stock of what we have in our pantry.

    I, too, have been guilty of using the 100 calorie snack bags *heh*. Low carb snack? Here, have some cheese. But, actually, Danielle is lactose intolerant (yes, add it to the list of things that the kid cannot eat or doesn't tolerate) so I buy her soy cheese instead. She's been eating it since she was small enough to gum up cubes of it in her mouth. I don't think it has the same fat as regular cheese but to be honest with you - I've never checked!

    She's such a pick right now though, that eating isn't a problem - it's her NOT eating that is a problem. I know that will change though - Brooke came around and eats like a horse now.

    Reading what you are going through and how you handle it gives me tips on what I should do when it's our turn :)

    Good luck (and btw, I don't think he's fat either - I've seen pictures. I bet when he hits his teens he's going to grow into a tall young man ... that skin will be stretched beyond capacity lol).

    By Blogger Jamie, at 3/27/2008 10:58 AM  

  • Shannon - He isn't fat, but he will be tall!

    Hang in there mama!
    FYI - I was able to reduce my cholesterol by 20 points.

    I ate more whole foods like slow cooked outmeal, a sliced apple with greek yogurt and honey, and I became fanatical about snacking on bean dip (white beans, olive oil, sea salt pepper & lemon) and raw veggies.

    The changes weren't huge, but the results were.
    k2

    By Blogger k2, at 3/27/2008 12:31 PM  

  • As someone who has laid eyes on Brendon, I can tell you that kid is far from fat. He is big for his age...I thought he looked closer to Noah's age - especially when I saw the 2 of them together.
    It sounds like you're on top of it, and making the necessary adjustments. And Stove Top is YUMMY! I loved it as a kid!

    By Blogger Lea, at 3/27/2008 2:48 PM  

  • Sounds like once again you are on the right track...cholesterol, etc. concerns you, but not his weight on any given day.

    Having a weight profile that is only 7% more than being equal to his height is not being overweight...and kids go through all kinds of skinny/fat phases as they grow up.

    By Blogger Brett, at 3/27/2008 3:05 PM  

  • I agree w/ Brett - I also remember both of our sons would grow outward (and I'd panic) and then the height would come on and they'd wear "high water" pants until I could get some new ones. So for many years, their jeans were either too tight or too short. But, you're so right to keep an eye on it and work with him to keep him in the best of health!

    By Blogger meanderings, at 3/27/2008 4:45 PM  

  • I have a friend who tries to eat healthy and they have sweet potato fries as a side to some meals and love them! I imagine they would take some getting used to, but you could try them. they are more healthy right?

    By Blogger mel, at 3/27/2008 9:58 PM  

  • ahhh, brett, good point about looking at the two numbers in tandem!

    Shannon, k2 has a really good point; who wants to give up all the guilty pleasures of great food, but instead find perhaps one item to substitute for something that is just as tasty but not as heavy on the system. For me it was changing out the bagel with cream cheese I would pick up on my way to work with "ants on a log" (celery with peanut butter and raisins). The nutritional difference was amazing.

    But boy, reading this post... it brought back memories of what I could put away when I was growing. It sounds like you are just about to move into that realm... get the bank account ready to handle to food-bill onslaught! ;)

    Adam

    By Blogger Adam Greene, at 4/03/2008 3:57 PM  

  • Adam,

    I break out into a cold sweat thinking about the grocery bill when he really gets growing especially during his teen years.

    I'm actually scared, LOL.

    I think a big chunk of diet change will come when we cut out the school lunches. Wish me luck!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4/03/2008 4:27 PM  

  • I work with pre-diabetes, diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Call this number and just listen to what this new food product (with clinical trials)does for blood glucose levels and cholesterol. This changed my life and son's life over 10 years ago. I will always pay it forward.

    Call the recorded 3 minute call.... I urge you to listen. 712-432-1284 pin 1038342# Then call me directly and I will work with you or your children. I work with people across the country.

    I was searching too. Be well.

    Stephanie Collins
    NutritionBringsHealth.com
    800-498-9908

    By Blogger Nutrition Brings Health and Integrity Brings Wealth, at 3/29/2009 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home