Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of

Part 1

Brendon came into our room at around 2:30 in the morning. He woke us to tell us that he heard noises in Jessica's bedroom.

"There's someone in her room. When I looked under the door, I saw a big foot near her bed. There's someone in there."

Jessica sleeps with a nightlight, so there was enough light to illuminate her room.

I nudged Jeff to go check it out.

He got out of bed and slowly opened the door. There was no one in there. Jeff brought Brendon back to bed. Soon after, Brendon came back in saying he heard a banging noise downstairs like someone was trying to get into the house.

Jeff got up once again, and checked it out with Brendon in tow. There was no one out there, but Brendon wasn't convinced.

They came back into the bedroom where Brendon asked to sleep out the remainder of the night. I told him he couldn't because Jacob was then with him and he'd want to sleep in our bed.

Brendon pleaded with us. I said, "Brendon, no one is going to come into our house. You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because they're all sleeping!! Now get back to bed!"

I want to give a special shout out to my mom to thank her for telling me about an article she read in People Magazine where a guy with a knife broke into a house one night, and was about to attack the daughter in her bedroom when the parents heard muffled noises. They investigated and when they saw the guy, they wrestled him to the ground and waited for the cops to arrive.

Brendon overheard the story. When I told my mom to stop telling it in front of the kids, she proceeded to continue anyway.....I knew I'd be in for a sleepless night.

-----------------------------

Part 2

Jacob came to me asking about vampires. Why they sucked blood....do they know where we live.....where do vampires live.

I knew I had to tread lightly on the subject and not give away too much detail for concern that I'd feed his imagination to create an out of control mess at bedtime.

I told him vampires need blood because that is their food. They don't know where we live. Vampires live in Mexico (I thought I heard that vampires bats live there....I'm just flying with answers off the top of my head here).

"Mom. Do moskweetos drink blood? My teacher said they do."

"Yes. You're teacher is right."

"Are moskweetos like vampires?"

"Well, in a way they are because they drink blood, but they're so tiny. You'd just have a little red mark after they bite you."

A look of concern shot across his face.

Daaaamn it, I thought. Please don't let me be in for a sleepless night.

"Mom. Do moskweetos know where we live?"

"Yes. They're all over the place in the summer, but they can't hurt us."

"Lock the doors in the summer. I don't want the moskweetos to suck our bloods."

"Hey Jake...how many bloods do we have?"

"Only just a little bit. You have a lot, and I have a lot of bloods."

------------------

Part 3

I was working out in the basement while Jessica was rummaging through the holiday supplies I have stored away.

She came across a vampire wig...very long black hair with strips of white hair streaked throughout.

Later the next day, Jessica lured Jacob into the basement where she showed him the wig.

He bugged out and came running up the stairs.

"Tell Jessica to put the wig away!!!!"

"It's just a wig Jake", said Jessica.

"Don't show me that ever again! It's cweeping me out!"

The next day, Jake was enticed by the suspense and he and Jessica went down to the basement.

I heard shrieks and laughter as their little feet tumbled up the stairs as quickly as their legs could move them.

They still can't get enough of getting scared by the wig.

12 Comments:

  • I have made the smallest jokes during the day that for some reason, end up in my kids nightmares. It is so tough to watch what we say all the time. I am not too good at it.

    By Blogger George, at 3/21/2008 4:23 PM  

  • My little cousin (7 yrs. old) was obsessed with tornadoes, he watched "Twister" daily and generally drove his parents nuts whenever storms cropped up. Don't know whether he was really scared of them, or just likes the feeling of being scared, if you know what I mean...Anyway, he's also a high-energy little guy (read: hellion) and gets in lots of trouble. I mean hanging-from-the-chandeliers trouble...he's a handful.

    One day his mom had had it with his antics and she told him, "Ryan, I just heard a tornado warning on the news, it's headed straight for Carriage Way! [their street] We have to run and hide!" The poor kid freaked out and ran to the basement crying for hours. Apparently whenever he acts up, Mom tells him there's a storm on the way. You tell me: evil, or justice served?!?!?

    By Blogger Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy), at 3/21/2008 5:29 PM  

  • George...what kind of jokes do you tell them? LOL.

    Araby!!! LMFAO! That sounds like something I would do just to give myself a break and be able to have some peace and quiet, LOL. Whatever it takes I tell you.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/21/2008 5:36 PM  

  • One of my sisters always freaked out when she heard sirens. I don't know why. The sound just scared her to death. My other sister was scared of storms - no matter how severe. There was no sleeping in our house when it was storming & then a firetruck or police car whizzed by. Ahhh!

    Once kids get something in their minds like that, it's hard to get it out, huh? Good luck!

    By Blogger Donna, at 3/21/2008 8:34 PM  

  • When I was little (like 8 or 9,)I saw the Liz Taylor movie "Elephants Walk."
    It was a rainy Sunday afternoon and my brother and I watched it on TV.
    It wasn't Taylor's best movie, but I digress.
    At then end, when the elephants brake through the fence and start attacking the Tea Plantation, tearing down the walls, etc.- The House Butler stands there with a stick and tries to fight the big Jumbo elephant off. STUPID
    He of course attacked by the elephant, wrapped in his trunk, and thrown to his death.
    Needless to say, I had nightmares for a week!
    k2

    By Blogger k2, at 3/22/2008 10:07 AM  

  • Kids imaginations are so active - the slightest mention of some things can send them into nights of bad dreams ... then they can watch movies that you think aren't age appropriate and they aren't bothered by them (i.e. my kids have seen all the Indiana Jones movies - I love them, but I figured some of the more gruesome scenes would result in many sleepless nights .... but it never happened.)

    I'm petrified of tornados - always have been, and most likely always will be - and I can't even say why, I never grew up in a place where we got them. Terror of the unknown maybe lol. Everytime my life is in turmoil, I'm guaranteed a nightmare containing tornados (not hard to decifer that one, huh?)

    Danielle is petrified of the garbage truck that comes by and picks up our big bins and dumps them into the back of it. She used to run and hide when she'd hear it coming - now she watches with that scared curiosity thing going on (even proclaiming at one time she was going to be a garbage man) - but if she's outside and he comes by, you've never seen that kid run so fast for the house in your life.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 3/22/2008 3:42 PM  

  • after living through a flood when i was 4 and watching my nonna's new washer and dryer floating down the river, i have terrible visions whenever i'm on one of those winding mountain roads, as that what the road that we were on looked like with the flood waters rising. i can drive them and be okay.... but i CANNOT be a passenger.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2008 12:36 AM  

  • Nora used to be horrifically scared of toilets that flushed by themselves. I guess she thought they would eat her.

    Every toilet on 95 north to grandma and grandpa's house was a self-flush toilet.

    *sigh*

    By Blogger Naomi, at 3/24/2008 3:57 PM  

  • My mom once told me a sorry about how when she was a little girl at night she would go to the bathroom, but she couldn't close the door because she saw a little girl in the window and she needed to be able to escape quickly. The little girl was her own reflection.

    By the way you've been tagged. http://diabetorandme.blogspot.com/2008/03/6-words.html

    By Blogger Jillian, at 3/24/2008 6:40 PM  

  • Hey, Shannon -- I tag you! http://mywildandpreciouslife.blogspot.com/2008/03/six-word-memoir.html

    By Blogger Naomi, at 3/24/2008 8:34 PM  

  • Aw, phooey, you are already tagged!

    By Blogger Naomi, at 3/24/2008 8:35 PM  

  • They really are listening to EVERYTHING... He sounds like such a little man.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/26/2008 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home