Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What Do You Do With It?

What do you do with the laughter that is swelling up inside of you waiting to leak out of every pore of your body? When is swells up:

While you're pumping gas

While you're grocery shopping

While you're in the middle of a very important meeting at work

Or when you are in any other public place where you are clearly not engaged in a conversation where something funny is being said that would cause you to laugh.

What do you do with it?

I needed to go shopping today, but opted to stay home. I can't control my laughter. Funny things I've read or heard someone say keep swirling in my head and I am laughing my ass off at the most inopportune moments.

The only place I feel safe laughing is in my minivan usually while on my way to dropping the kids off at school. I was breaking out in random fits of laughter on my way to drop off Jessica today. At first, it was making her feel self conscious, "Are you laughing at the hat I'm wearing? Why are you laughing?" And then she caught on and my laughter peaked her interest.

"What are you thinking about that's so funny?"

"Nothing. Don't worry about it."

I break out into another fit of laughter.

"Mom, you can tell me, I'll keep it a secret."

"Really, it's nothing. It's grownup stuff."

"Awwww c'MON!!"

"Oh time to get unbuckled. The teacher is coming to get you."

As one of the kindergarten teachers, one of many volunteers who take the kids into the school, walks up to the van, I do all I can to draw a blank mind so I can't possibly think of anything that would cause me to laugh.

I love to laugh and truely believe it is the best medicine. But right now, it's really exhausting me....as I laugh while I write this.

The word uvula is busting my gut at this very moment.

Help me.

7 Comments:

  • Great blog. But wait is it grown up stuff to laugh at wrong times, I thought it was only a problem with teens and children. At least someone is like us. Great post.
    Keep rocking...

    By Blogger Puneet, at 4/02/2008 1:38 PM  

  • Shannon, can you pass me some of that? I'm having the shittiest day on record.

    By Blogger Lea, at 4/02/2008 1:39 PM  

  • uvula, uvula, uvula.

    see, I'm no help.

    the worst is when you're in church and the need to giggle hits.

    I often think of MTM on the episode where she broke out laughing at the Clown's funeral. lol

    By Blogger Michelle, at 4/02/2008 1:42 PM  

  • Thanks Puneet :)

    Lea, I'm telling you, the word uvula does wonders sometimes. At least for me it does.

    I hope your shitty day stops being so shitty soon. email me if you want.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4/02/2008 1:43 PM  

  • Michelle,

    I was never a church goer, but my college roommates were and I'd go with them because it was so fun to do things to make each other laugh, but not be able to. We'd be beet red during the whole service quivering like Jell-o gelatine

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4/02/2008 1:44 PM  

  • Reading this post made me laugh.

    Just thinking about this post of you thinking about stuff making you laugh will no doubt make ME laugh at inopportune moments.

    Heh - pay it forward, huh?

    LOL.

    Laugh on ... :D

    By Blogger Jamie, at 4/02/2008 2:10 PM  

  • I too am an inappropriate laugher. Either I find things that should not be funny extremely hilarious, or I think of something funny in my head and laugh out loud. It's terribly embarrassing.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 4/02/2008 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home