Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, January 13, 2008

He Is Unstoppable

Yesterday, Brendon had a basketball game. I have to say that for a bunch of 1st and 2nd graders, they played a good game.

Brendon is really loving basketball. He loves the running and passing and stealing and shooting baskets.

He's also a tough little man. And by man, I mean exactly that....I see him becoming a man that I will admire:

He made a shot that bounced off the rim and hit him in the nose, knocking him to the floor. The coaches and team mates from both teams gathered around him checking to see if he was OK. He lifted his head, shook it, and then got up and ran across the floor to play defense. I watched intently for blood, but there wasn't any. Nonetheless, getting hit in the nose is probably one of the worst kinds of pain there is (I've had plenty of hits to the nose while playing as a kid).

My heart swelled with pride when I heard the other parents say to no one in particular, "Boy, he's a tough kid. That was a hard hit, too."

While he stood ready and waiting for the other team to head his way, I heard him say he wished they had a sub. I didn't know what he was referring to.

When the game finished, and we got into the van, I asked him how his nose was doing.

He said it hurt a lot when he got hit and he wished more team mates came to the game so that someone could fill in for him so that he could take a 3 minute break.

I told him he could've taken the break anyway.

He said his team didn't have enough players and he needed to stay in the game.

He was so concerned about his team that he put his own needs aside to avoid leaving them vulnerable.

Being that no score is kept during the games, it would've actually have been OK to sit out for a while ;)

Let me also add that his numbers were excellent.

He doesn't wear his pump while he plays, mainly to avoid going low during the games.

I called to him to come get checked during the middle of the game and he told me to make it quick because his team needs him. I poked and tested as quickly as possible and saw that he was a 130. It was a great number, but I wasn't sure if he would drop too low, so I gave him 4 sugar cubes to help avoid a big drop.

Once we got home, I tested again and he was a 160.

I was happy that diabetes didn't leave Brendon vulnerable.

6 Comments:

  • Wow - he's one tough kid alright. I don't think I've been hit in the face with a ball before. I've been hit in the back of the head (due to not paying attention LOL LOL) but not in the face. OUCH!

    That definately shows some good traits ... strength, courage and concern (for his team). He's a strong kid! (and glad to hear the sugars stayed good, too!)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 1/13/2008 11:32 AM  

  • Being hit in the nose is one of the most painful things. Brendon's a tough kid and it's amazing how much he would do for his team. I'm glad D kept it's self on the back burner a little bit so he could have some fun.

    By Blogger Jillian, at 1/13/2008 1:17 PM  

  • Ouch! That nose thing had to hurt. Glad he didn't let him get him down.

    And I'm so glad you let him participate in sports. I think that's very important for kids with diabetes to be able to be take part & just be kids like everyone else. :)

    By Blogger Donna, at 1/13/2008 5:02 PM  

  • Very cool story.

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 1/13/2008 6:10 PM  

  • What a team player! You're definitely doing something right with that kid! :-)

    Man, I hate getting hit in the nose. Makes me see stars. And I think the last time it happened to me, it was an errant basketball as well.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 1/14/2008 9:36 PM  

  • Tough kid is right!! I have said this before.. i so want our boys to be friends!! Brendon sounds like an awesome kid!!!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 1/15/2008 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home