Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Soul Sisters

In a couple of weeks, I will be heading down to good ole New Jersey and as part of my visit, I will be seeing my best friends in the world. I spoke to one of them today. I got her to join Facebook and I was trying to guide her through a talk on the Wall. She got impatient with learning the process, so we gave up and she told me to call her instead. We had the best conversation after not having spoken for a year. She is one of six of us who get together at least once year...and talk to each other about as often.

It doesn't matter how much time has gone by because we could pick up where we left off as though a day went by rather than a year.

I can't express to you how much I love these girls. I really honestly believe they are my soul sisters. We've known each other for 18 years and we all met on the same day at the same time.

It was the first day of college, and I had met up with my dorm roommate who I knew from high school. We had decided to be roommates after discovering that we'd be going to the same school.

The dorms were divided into suites with 4 rooms on one end of the hallway and a common area seperating the other 4 rooms. Our RA lived in the 4th room on my end of the hallway.

In the other 2 rooms were 4 girls who I didn't even dream would have the impact on my life that they've had all these years.

There were Teresa and Andrea in the room next to mine and Ellen's and the third room housed Tina and Pattie.

I remember walking with Ellen past Teresa and Andrea's room and taking a quick peek inside. Teresa was standing on a chair hanging up a poster and Andrea was sitting crossed legged on the bed watching her. I thought they must be at least Sophomores because it was against the rules to hang posters on the walls with pushpins and here she was, breaking the rules.

God was I a friggin pansy ass, LOL.

The RA called a meeting for the floor to talk to us about rules, what her role was, and to introduce ourselves to each other.

After the meeting, we retreated to our rooms and Ellen and I were trying to figure out where the hell the student center was so we could go there to eat dinner. I don't remember exactly how it all worked out, but somehow the six of us got together and had our first of hundreds of meals together for the next 4 years. I don't think a day went by that we didn't at least have dinner together. We were an immediate family.

But, we couldn't have been more different from each other. I think our common bond was that we all had a sense of humor where we could make each other laugh like crazy. And somehow, with the different needs we met for each other, we all managed to stick together one way or the other.

Teresa
-aka Mother Teresa because she always took care of everything and us. She was my partner in crime when I was hankering for fun and mischief. We'd make each other laugh constantly. We didn't know how to have a lousy time with each other.

Ellen
-She is the sweetest, nicest, person. She is the only person I know who is truely without a mean bone in her body. She's religious and rarely drank....until the night Teresa and I got fed up with her and decided she was going to experience the drunkest night of her life.

Andrea
-She was a wild girl. She was fun and funny and provided us with constant entertainment with all the predicaments she got herself into. She lives close by me now.

Tina
-She was/is miss goody goody preppy girl. Perfect clothes, hair, skin, boyfriends. She lived a charmed life.

Pattie
-She was the studious one who paid her way through college with beauty pageant scholarships. She was Homecoming Queen during our Senior Year. We laughed and had fun. We were each other's "wingman" at parties.

Everyone on campus knew us to be an inseperable group.

There was another group on campus made up of guys who we'd party with, hang out with, go to games with, and eat dinner with often. They were the funnest bunch of guys anyone could experience sharing time with.

I can't wait to get together with the girls and catch up with each other's lives, see how big our children have gotten and have a generally nice time together.

1 Comments:

  • Awww, now I miss my college crowd ...

    *sniff sniff*

    Even though you were talking about you and your sisters, I was relating to the group of girls I hung out with when I went to university/college. Man, we had some great times!! I miss all of them :) Hope you have a great time reconnecting with them :D

    By Blogger Jamie, at 7/16/2007 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home