Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Perfect Peaceful

I approach him as he lay sleeping. I wonder if he's dreaming. His face is so peaceful, perhaps not.

I observe his long, thick, ebony eyelashes. I observe the way freckles sprinkle across his small button nose placed just so on his face. The freckles remind me of the stars and constellations we point out to each other on a clear, crisp winter's night. Look how perfectly pink his lips are, like the smooth interior of a seashell. I know behind those slumbering lids lay denim hued baby blues.

I lift his hand, and without a flinch, his skin allows the sharp lance to pierce it. A perfectly round, red drop of blood forms and waits to be caught by what will tell me if his body is betraying him.

41.

I lift the juice box to those bow shaped seashell lips.

"Drink, Brendon."

His eyes flutter open. The whites are bloodshot. But those bright baby blues are unblemished....so perfect. His arm bends at the elbow, his hand is raised, fingers splayed. I remember how he used to raise his hand that same way when he was a baby and something startled him while he slept. It was as though he were warding off what was threatening his peaceful sleep. My mind shakes loose the memory and returns to my perfect, big boy sipping his juice.

"One more sip and then you're done."

He finishes, I kiss his cool forehead, and watch his face return to perfect, peaceful sleep.

8 Comments:

  • Damn Shannon.

    By Blogger Chris, at 5/18/2007 8:23 AM  

  • Ah, Shannon, it was if I was right there with you.

    That scene has happened in my house too many times. How much longer will it have to go on, I wonder.

    Sigh...

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 5/18/2007 10:18 AM  

  • That was me last night too - and the night before. We've been hitting lows for a few days around here.

    I can't believe how perfectly you wrote this though because I have thought the exact same things while testing Dani in the night. The way she sleeps - still has those baby-like qualities. It hurts me a little everytime I have to poke her perfect little fingers while she sleeps and while she sucks back some apple juice I keep thinking that "It shouldn't be like this at all."

    Stupid disease.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 5/18/2007 11:20 AM  

  • Wonderful writing Shannon.

    By Blogger Bernard, at 5/18/2007 11:44 AM  

  • The tender moments that make Motherhood a dream.

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 5/19/2007 6:18 PM  

  • Wonderful, Shannon, really wonderful - the writing, the moment... Everything.

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 5/19/2007 9:50 PM  

  • Really good writing. This has been happening in our house quite a bit lately too. Just know that when you are up checking someone else is too.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 5/19/2007 11:07 PM  

  • Perfect. Beautifully written.

    By Blogger Carey, at 5/21/2007 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home