Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, May 14, 2007

Everyone Deserves To Love and Be Loved

Last night, after a wonderful Mother's Day, Jeff told me he had a story to tell me about something Jessica said. We often share stories about the things she says because she comes out with the most clever, funniest stuff.

When he saw my face light up in anticipation of hearing it, he warned me that it was not a good story.

He told me that the other night he and the kids were finishing dinner at the kitchen table and he doesn't recall the originating part of the conversation, but Jessica told Brendon he couldn't get married because he has diabetes.

Brendon got upset and started crying. Jeff explained to her that it was a mean thing to say. He explained to her that even though he has diabetes, he can still do all the things that she can do (just short of giving birth).

Jeff then reassured Brendon that someday he'll find someone who he'll love and who will love him and that they can get married and have babies.

Jessica started crying when she saw how upset she made Brendon and apologized for making him cry.

Keep in mind that these children are 7 and 5 years old. Even the youngest children want to have the hope of having a loving relationship to share with someone when they're older.

This morning, when I asked Jessica why she thought Brendon couldn't get married, she said she heard me say it when I was on the phone with daddy.

What she overheard was a conversation I had with Jeff about an OC blog post I read where I was relating to him what was written. There was a certain statement made about diabetics that stung me even though I'm not diabetic. It stung me as a mother because of the thought that someone believes no one should want to share a life with someone who has diabetes. The thought that Brendon should be purposely deprived of love because of a flaw in his body broke my heart.

But, this isn't a post about the post I read, or what someone else believes.

This is a post about people who have diabetes, and how this insidious disease may affect their personality momentarily during a treatable high or low, but it never affects their soul and their basic human need and right to love and be loved.

A person can have food, water, and shelter, but if they don't have love, they will waste away to nothing but a living, breathing shell.

Afterall, love is what makes the world go 'round.

14 Comments:

  • Absolutely perfect post.

    I'm just sorry that Jessica had to overhear your conversation and turn it around like any five-year-old. I hope she doesn't feel too bad. Same goes for Brendon.

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 5/14/2007 8:27 AM  

  • They both understand what the deal is and now all is well :)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 5/14/2007 8:36 AM  

  • Wow. This is beautifully said. Thank you so much for posting it!

    By Blogger Kassie, at 5/14/2007 8:54 AM  

  • Shannon. You made me cry this morning. This post is perfect. And Brendon is perfect, with whatever flaws (none that I can see :) he has - some lucky girl will discover this some day and will love him perfectly. Hope you had a great day Saturday - missed you all.

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 5/14/2007 9:56 AM  

  • What a beautiful post, Shannon. I can't find the right words to respond, but there's an ache in my heart and I can't quite explain why.

    It makes me want to go find Chris and thank him, only to have him smile, confused, and ask me why.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 5/14/2007 10:56 AM  

  • My heart just ached reading this.

    Not sure what to say, but the whole thought of it made me want to cry.

    Funny how you just never know when the kids are listening and how they'll interpret what they hear.

    Very well written.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 5/14/2007 11:34 AM  

  • Thanks Shannon

    I really liked this post (overlooking the part about the children, we've got youngsters too, so I know what that's like).

    By Blogger Bernard, at 5/14/2007 2:23 PM  

  • Eveyone deserves to love and be loved.I can't imagine what my life would be like without my beautiful wife, and my precious children. Who ever Brendon, Jessica and Jacob decide to spend their lives with will be lucky beyond words. Each are so different, but they are all so special in their own way.
    Shannon is right,if you don't have love in your life, you can't really LIVE!!!!

    From a husband/father perspective,
    Jeff

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2007 11:12 PM  

  • Oh, Shannon, that was great! I don't read the blog that originated these posts that are permeating the OC, but I get the gist. I think that all the posts relating to this have refuted the original statement loud and clear.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 5/15/2007 12:13 AM  

  • How very true. Thank you, Shannon.

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 5/15/2007 7:03 AM  

  • Shannon,

    It's taken me a while to respond to this post because me in my infinate wisdom (not) followed links and read the comments that you are referring to here.

    To put it mildly, I was seeing red for a while. I almost did a post of my own about it, but restrained myself because it wouldn't have been pretty.

    I think you've said it perfectly. The thought that someone thinks my Riley is not marriage material because he has diabetes breaks my heart.

    All of us have flaws, be it depression, bad PMS (guilty), or a chronic disease. Those people who think they are perfect because they don't have a condition that can be labeled make me so mad.

    And, I will end it there, because my blood is starting to boil again.

    Once again, good post.

    By Blogger Penny Ratzlaff, at 5/16/2007 3:48 PM  

  • Thanks Shannon

    By Blogger Chris, at 5/16/2007 10:57 PM  

  • Really good post, albeit heartbreaking.

    By Blogger Carey, at 5/17/2007 9:34 AM  

  • Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. It is always great pleasure to read your posts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/19/2007 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home