Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, February 05, 2007

Unchartered Territory Revisited


Back in April, I was inspired by Nicole's chicken thigh as a new territory for infusion sets and had been working the idea on Brendon since then.

Well, it must be that he just turned 7 because he finally agreed to get it done in his meaty thigh. His numbers had been riding in the 200's a couple of days ago, so Jeff changed his infusion set. Jeff usually does the insertions in the stomach or the buttocks, but the sites must be used up because yesterday and today he was riding in the 200's, and even climbed into the 300's today at school.

So I broached the subject with him once again.

"Bren, you know those blogs I read?"

"Yeah."

"Well, a lot of those people use their thighs to do their infusion sets. Maybe we should try it on you because I think your stomach and butt are used up."

"I don't think my thighs are meaty enough."

"Oh, believe me Bren, your thighs are meaty enough."

I reminded him that we used to give him shots in the thigh all the time back before he went on the pump. He agreed to have it done and said it hardly hurt at all.

Now if I can just convince him to try his arm. I told him about this guy who's my age who finally got the courage to get a set in his arm. I showed him the picture that Scott posted so he could see how it would look. Brendon contemplated the idea, but wasn't ready....yet......

What would I do without the PWD Posse?

11 Comments:

  • cute picture, I am going to try an arm site tonight

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/05/2007 7:48 PM  

  • Woo Hoo what a brave little guy. I love to see them try something new and have it all work out. Awesome job Mom!!

    By Blogger Vivian, at 2/05/2007 9:51 PM  

  • Nice one, Brendon.

    Olivia uses her arms all. the. time. To the point that she was scolded by the endo the other day and told to use her butt.

    I hope my house isn't bugged. Imagine what would happen if someone heard "Oh, Mom! Not in the butt!!" :D

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 2/06/2007 9:26 AM  

  • Laura, I hope it works for you. Trying new sites is so nerve wracking....even for the people like us parents who do the insertion and don't get it!

    Viv, so far he's not complaining about the site, but we'll see after Karate...it might get in the way unfortunately.

    Julia, LMFAO!! Can you imagine?!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2/06/2007 9:33 AM  

  • What a brave guy! That's great.

    By Blogger Carey, at 2/06/2007 10:09 AM  

  • I love the picture :)

    I'm glad to hear he's trying a new area for you - I'm sure in time, he'll come around to letting you use his arm as well.

    Danielle has issues about getting shots in her tummy. I have to practically bribe her to let me do it there - yet it seems to be the most popular area for people with diabetes to use. She's slowly, slowly coming around to it though :)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 2/06/2007 1:50 PM  

  • What a great picture!! That is just awesome!

    I've yet to try a thigh site - though I think I should soon.

    And how could he resist an arm site after seeing guns like mine?! :-)

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 2/06/2007 9:16 PM  

  • Alright, chicken thigh! Awesome. I'm so proud of Brendon. :)

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 2/07/2007 12:16 PM  

  • Way to go, Superman! I'm all thigh, all the time. Abdomen sites feel so uncomfortable and I haven't worked up the courage to try an arm site yet. But I'm inspired to maybe try one soon. ... maybe. :)

    Awesome picture. He is too cute!

    By Blogger Kerri., at 2/07/2007 10:42 PM  

  • brave brave soul. my prayers to heal his body.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2007 8:20 AM  

  • Good for him -he is braver than me! I tried a thigh site twice and they got nasty and hurt :-(

    By Blogger Erica, at 2/08/2007 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home