Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Friday, December 01, 2006

I Came...I Saw...I Conked Out

NaNoWriMo is over and done with. What was my word count? A measly, piddly 7,333 words. I was pulling stuff out of my ass just to see if I could make it to 10,000. I just couldn't do it. I was bleary eyed and tired last night and falling asleep at the wheel. Think? Who could think? Dialogue, plot, characterization...fuck that shit.

I gave up on the storyline and instead typed:

1. A grocery list

2. The words to "The Star Spangled Banner" (which by the way has 4 stanzas...did you know that? I'll bet you didn't. Can you imagine people singing all 4 stanzas at the start of a ball game? It would be a friggin disaster).

3. The story of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"

4. The classic "Cinderella"

When I first saw NaNoWriMo, I thought what the fuck...as in the line from "Risky Business" which to me meant....go for broke dude, what have you got to lose.

Last night, I thought what the fuck...as in what the fuck am I doing?

I tried it and failed miserably. I have my excuses...legitimate IMO, so I'm OK with not getting to 50 grand.

9 Comments:

  • Don't feel bad. I did NaNo as well and failed. So, I spent the last night of NaNo drinking a bottle of wine with my boss (who also attempted and failed). We figured we at least deserved something for trying! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 3:14 AM  

  • Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 12/01/2006 7:33 AM  

  • Shayze, that's a good way to end the event! :)

    Johnboy, very true.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/01/2006 9:48 AM  

  • Shannon, you did a terrific job. And 7,333 isn't measley or piddly!! I bet you can finish that novel by the end of February.

    And yes, it's insane that they pick the beginning of the holiday season to do this. Don't they know we're all busy being frantic??

    By Blogger Kerri., at 12/01/2006 10:48 AM  

  • Kerri,

    That would mean I'd have to get rid of the grocery list, the lyrics, and the two fairytales if I wanted this novel to be coherent and sane. No way I could get done by February if I got rid of those words, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/01/2006 10:58 AM  

  • Hey stranger :-) I'm still catching up but I wanted to pop in and say hello.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 1:47 PM  

  • HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

    How the hell have you been Erica???? You must've had the baby by now?

    I've missed you so much....you made me laugh all the time.

    I hope to see a post from you.....

    By Blogger Shannon, at 12/01/2006 1:54 PM  

  • Hey, I'm impressed with all of you that have managed to write anything. I had all I could do to get a couple of short articles written.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 12/01/2006 6:31 PM  

  • Hey at least you tried and wrote nearly 10000 words, that is something!!
    Do we get to see some of it???

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 12/02/2006 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home