Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Change In Perspective

Did you ever drive somewhere, say for instance to work, and wonder how you made it there? The drive is so incorporated into your subconscious that you could drive without thinking and make it to your destination practically with your eyes closed.

I took pause tonight during dinner prep and observed the scene in the kitchen because something had caught my attention.....

It used to be so obvious and a part our heightened consciousness, and the most significant part of our lives....

Now, it was so subtle, so inconspicuous, but still so significant.....

Brendon came in the kitchen and sat down, then immediately popped up again and opened his kit to test himself. He didn't have to be reminded by me, and he didn't wait on me to do it.

I noticed this as I stood mid-motion at the food scale with Brendon's dinner plate on it. I then realized I barely remember placing the plate there.

Like eyes blinking or heart beating, it was an involuntary reflex for him to test himself just as it was for me to weigh his food.

This invader of my boy's body was right then and there a part of our lives without us giving it a second thought. We weren't motivated to do our respective tasks because we were afraid of the consequences of not doing it as I had been when he was first diagnosed and for years after. We did them because it's so imbedded in us that it's as though we don't have a conscious choice anymore.

Diabetes wasn't such an obvious outsider at that moment.

Diabetes just....was.

16 Comments:

  • I don't know what to say Shannon. But its all about perspective.
    Your blog totally is awesome!:)
    What was for dinner anyway?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2006 8:58 PM  

  • Roast chicken (premade at the supermarket) and pasta salad (premade at the supermarket).....

    Wish I had a better menu for you to drool over, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/29/2006 9:09 PM  

  • Oh crap...i just read my comment..i didnt mean "i dont know what you say" literally. Man that sounded bad. Of course i know what you say, i think what i meant was ...or shit...i cannot remember but it wasnt that. That just sounded dumb. Did i lose you yet?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2006 9:14 PM  

  • Huh???

    You said "I don't know what TO say".

    Silly boy.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/29/2006 9:21 PM  

  • Oh man...just when i thought i couldn't sound or feel any dumber ..her i go..look at me WEEEEEEE!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2006 9:27 PM  

  • If you'd like, you can delete your comment.

    Unless you want people to wonder how you get through the day alive, LOL.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/29/2006 9:33 PM  

  • and then i spell "here" wrong. i think i need a fresh start. deleting this entire think may be the way to go. lol.
    i think i was jsut thrown off because the word verification was "quif". i just couldnt pull it together after that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2006 9:38 PM  

  • That word verification was AWESOME!!

    You also just spelled "thing" and "just" wrong (hee hee).

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/29/2006 9:40 PM  

  • I will leave teaching emma to read write and spell up to her momma. Im going to go build a snowman and colour in a Barney book now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2006 9:49 PM  

  • LOL

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/29/2006 9:55 PM  

  • Great post, Shannon. (I'm sorry, but I just read the whole exchange between you and Chris and now I'm laughing my ass off.)

    It becomes seamlessly integrated. And that's both a wonderful thing and so damn bittersweet.

    SuperMan is a great kid. :)

    By Blogger Kerri., at 11/29/2006 11:09 PM  

  • if it has to be, it is nice to barely notice the routine.

    (and yes, the exchange between you and Chris had me laughing, too.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2006 11:37 PM  

  • Shannon- Somedays we are there already and somedays we are not. I think it is probably my fault when we are not because I still want to fight it. I am glad your family has made peace with it all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/30/2006 12:00 AM  

  • I admire you. and Brendon.


    Your love is a powerful tool!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 11/30/2006 6:45 AM  

  • Vivian,

    I'm still fighting it, but it's a quiet one now.

    I feel like I've won a battle by not letting diabetes dictate how I feel anymore.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/30/2006 8:09 AM  

  • Shannon-

    This was really a well-written, apt description of how diabetes is assimilated into our everyday lives.

    Most days, I feel like we're right there.

    But then there are those (thankfully, rarer) days when I just rail against the disease-- when in a big way, it refuses to just be.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/30/2006 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home