Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Our Harrowing Trip

Ever since we moved to New Hampshire, I've wanted to visit Mt. Washington. It's the highest peak East of the Mississippi. Even when we lived in New York, I would see bumper stickers that read "This Car Climbed Mt. Washington". I figured it must be an incredible drive if so many people have gone.

I never knew until Monday just what the words on that bumper sticker really implied.

The mountain is 6,288 feet above sea level. The auto road climbing to the top is very narrow, barely allowing two way traffic. The edge of the road, which by the way has no guardrails at any point, meets with a drop to certain death.
Beautiful day for a drive...off the cliff of death.

The road really magnifies the fact that SUVs and minivans are enormous monstrosities (we own a minivan).
"Uh pardon me, but I'm not in the mood for a game of "chicken".

Cars have to climb at 20 miles per hour. When coming down, there are numerous spaces off the side of the "road" where you can stop and let your brakes cool lest your brakes become so overheated that they lose their function and cause the vehicle to speed out of control and careen over the side of the path leading to death and destruction.

But, while traveling the road, you become mesmerized by the majestic views of the mountainous terrain. Terrain isn't even the word to describe it. It's otherworldly.
As seen from the peak of Mount Washington...no photo does any justice to the views.

In the end though, the bumper sticker should say "We made it up and down Mt. Washington ALIVE"

9 Comments:

  • We did that last May in a rental car and thought about putting the bumper sticker on it...

    (We didn't have the gorgeous views you did, though!)

    By Blogger If not a mother..., at 7/07/2006 8:43 PM  

  • Sounds like a scary ride... but worth every moment of it!

    Beautiful photo, Shannon.

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 7/07/2006 9:33 PM  

  • What an adventure! When I come visit you, I want to drive this, I loved your photos and descriptions, no way am I driving a mini van!! Let's rent motorcycles!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 7/08/2006 10:56 AM  

  • How absolutely gorgeous...I want to go now (harrowing or not)!!

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 7/08/2006 12:43 PM  

  • I remember seeing bumper stickers that said "This car fell off Mt. Washington." Always cracked me up.

    Great pictures, Shannon.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 7/09/2006 7:02 AM  

  • hi shannon,

    did you drive up there? i would have been so scared. we went up a mountain in majorca last year prob weren't even that high but i was green i felt so sick and scared. hated it all. ok nice scenery but i'm a whimp.

    :) glad you got down ok !!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2006 12:24 PM  

  • Ha, those pics reminded me of when I went to Puerto Rico and our driver took the turns WAY too fast. So scary!

    By Blogger NotCarrie, at 7/13/2006 12:42 PM  

  • I am a pharmacaeutical rep who drives throughtout NH,and has lived in NH for 12 years. I have a drug which has great clinical data to prevent stroke, cv death, and MI in diabetic patients. It is called Altace (ramipril)

    Look it up - particularly refering to the HOPE TRIAL and the DREAM TRIAL.

    Great medical evidence and life savings benefits.

    Enough the sales plug. I have driven by Mt. Washington on both sides of the mountain. Your reference to the fact that it is the highest mountain east of the Mississippi is spot on. that Mountain is Champion! It is so so steep. You have guts, because
    the 12 years I've lived in the "Granite State" I have never gone on the Mt. Washington road and I do not have one of those stickers.....and probably never will

    God Bless You

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/14/2006 11:16 PM  

  • Love Mt Washington, but for an even better "OMG, what did I get myself into?" ride, drive Pike's Peak in CO. HOLY COW!!

    By Blogger floreksa, at 7/16/2006 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home