Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Completely Fucked Up

I typically don't get frustrated with managing Brendon's diabetes, but lately I've been getting completely fed up with the whole thing. His numbers have been sky high more often than not.

About an hour after he eats, he'll test in the 400's. All day long his numbers will ride in the high 200-mid 300 range. Just when I think his numbers are lowering to normal range (his normal), they sky rocket again.

We've been bolusing and correcting the living daylights out of the kid. We raised his total daily basal by 5 units, we've raised his correction bolus's as well. All of it has barely made a dent, if it's made a dent at all.

I first suspected he was coming down with allergies. I never figured a cold because his numbers react differently than they have been. The insulin is new, no bubbles in the line, no leakage at the pump or the insertion site. If this is a growth spurt, then it's pretty vicious. Or maybe it's an absorption problem. We typically insert in the stomach and butt. Maybe they've been used up.

My last ditch effort is to do a thigh site tomorrow. I'd do it today, but he gets so stressed out any time we change his set. Plus, I need time to sell the idea to him.

If his numbers don't improve, then it's time to call the Endo. She doesn't want us calling unless we've exhausted every avenue. I like that she pushes us to be independent, but sometimes I'd like for someone to hold my hand and lead the way. It can be exhausting thinking of everything by myself.

7 Comments:

  • Oh I so hate this for you. It is frustrating! Daniel went through a couple of months of this where I just could not seem to get on top of those highs. I cried, I hung out in the parents room of the CWD while waiting for those middle of the night checks, we corrected and prayed. At one point I thought someone would turn me in as an abusive mother because he had run so high for so long. I wish I could make it all better, but I will be here if you need to vent and cry. Hang in there. Lots of love.

    By Blogger Vivian, at 5/13/2006 3:15 PM  

  • What's he eating? I find whenever I eat something with simple carbs (white flour, sugar, etc.), I skyrocket immediately after eating. Or is he eating the same things as usual and still skyrocketing as a new thing?

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 5/13/2006 3:19 PM  

  • Vivian, thanks for empathizing. I'll just muddle through this :)

    Lyrehca, he's eating the same things. Nothing unusual. He's also eating about the same amounts too.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 5/13/2006 3:34 PM  

  • I should add that I'm thinking of backing off on the amount of carbs he eats and increasing his protein. I'm hoping it'll limit the rise in glucose, but keep his appetite satisfied with the protein.

    Lots to figure out....

    By Blogger Shannon, at 5/13/2006 3:36 PM  

  • Shannon -- I don't know how much it helps, but I think you've done an excellent job of thinking of the possiblities. This is much more than many people could manage.

    I knew a doc back in the day at camp that would say, when confronted with evidence of issues like the one you're having, "Why? Because diabetes just does this." I used to want to punch him. Hard. In the nose. But I find, that sometimes, even now, I deal with period where my sugars are high for no reason at all. Days of bloodsugars in the 200s or 300s when I'm doing everything just right... Eventually, whatever's going on in my body ceases and the sugars go back to normal. It's come to the point where I have created a special basal for when these times creep up -- hoping to head them off. It doesn't always work. And then I think to myself. "Why? Because diabetes just does this." Grrr....

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 5/14/2006 1:37 PM  

  • Such a burden for him, and a stress for you..unfair for both...the constant need...You are in my thoughts, hang in there!
    Happy Mother's Day too!!

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 5/14/2006 1:48 PM  

  • I agree - you're doing a wonderful job working through the possibilities.

    I forget - how old is he? There may be stuff happening with a growth spurt too? Those growth hormones can make him pretty resistant to the insulin...

    Just another thought (and I don't mean to throw another variable in the mix...). Just want to point out something that might be contributing to it.

    All the best!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 5/15/2006 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home