Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, March 13, 2006

The Quickdraw McGraw Gang

I'll tell you, the girls of the OC are quick at glucose tests. We all sat down after buying our respective lunches at South Street Station. As I set up Brendon's kit, Lyrehca, Nicole, and Kerri, unwrapped their sandwiches and started eating. I thought to myself, "They don't test before they eat? Huh. Maybe they test after?" "Oh you missed me, I tested over there", Lyrehca informs me. Kerri tested, as did Nicole. I missed it all. Damn they're good. I guess when you've done it for decades, it's not such a clumsy task like it can be for me.

In fact, while Kerri and I were standing, talking in the Children's Museum, she suddenly said "I've gotta test!" I quickly scanned the room, and after accounting for my 3 kids, I looked back and caught Kerri sticking her finger in her mouth. Without missing a beat, she continued on with the conversation. Lighting speed, I tell you, lightning speed.

Julia and Isobel (correct spelling?) made the 1 1/2 hour trip. I have to tell you how adorable, and sweet Isobel was. She wanted nothing more than to run her diapered fanny off, but Mama was too tired to chase after her. Olivia couldn't make it. She had a birthday party to attend. I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet her. I'm looking forward to the day.

The rest of the day was spent with Nicole and Kerri being dragged around by Jessica and Brendon while Jacob did his thing. Julia and I stood side by side amazed at Kerri and Nicole's energy.

The day wound down with Kerri tripping a toddler who had a cochlear implant, Brendon catching fish for a little girl, Jacob helping build a house, and Nicole looking at all the neat stuff with Jessica at her platformed heels.

And Brendon got his yellow belt.

"Hey Bren, you wanna wear your Superman shirt to the test so you can feel powerful?"

"Yeah! Then I can get my yellow belt! Hiyah, Yah, WhoowaaAA!"

9 Comments:

  • I was just checking to see if that little kid had a pump. Sometimes to answer a question, you need to trip a toddler.

    Sigh...

    I'm very clumsy.

    It was so great meeting you guys!

    By Blogger Kerri., at 3/13/2006 8:50 AM  

  • Sure. Just checking for a pump. Riiight. LOL.

    It was great meeting you too!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/13/2006 9:10 AM  

  • Seriously, Clark Kent, watch out, because the kid in that picture will put you to shame.

    It was really great to meet you.

    Check later. I'm actually going to post something -- this is NOT an idle threat, I promise you.

    By Blogger Nicole P, at 3/13/2006 9:33 AM  

  • It was so nice meeting you too Nicole.

    And I WILL be looking for a post today young lady.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/13/2006 9:35 AM  

  • Indeed, it was great to meet all of you. No worries about the testing, Shannon. Wait til Brendan learns to drive and test his sugar at a red light. Or while on the elliptical trainer. Or in between karate chops.

    Believe me, there are other times I've been eating a new meal and I test before eating, calculate the bolus in my head, punch my pump, and look across the table to see my dinner companion already several bites into a meal.

    By Blogger Lyrehca, at 3/13/2006 9:44 AM  

  • LOL, Lyrehca. It really amazes me how quick you are.

    It's getting to be a regular love-fest here :)

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/13/2006 9:46 AM  

  • Isobel slept like a log that night. I should do that more often. :D

    It was great meeting all of you. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see so many accomplished women incorporating their diabetes care seemlessly into their lives.

    By Blogger Major Bedhead, at 3/14/2006 11:01 AM  

  • Julia,

    The kids were asleep before we hit 93. Brendon actually slept right through to morning.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 3/14/2006 2:04 PM  

  • Oh my gosh he is the cutest thing ever. That picture will be sheer blackmail in teenage years!

    By Blogger Erica, at 3/16/2006 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home