Mom Wants A Diabetes Cure

Monday, July 28, 2008

"Mommy, How Did You And Daddy Meet?"

This "how we met" story is for Jessica at "O The Joys"....who was intrigued by my mention of a midget being involved in my story....and anyone else who'd like to hear about how I nabbed myself a husband. I tend to "lighten" up the story for the kiddies when they ask me how daddy and I met. They know a version where we met at a party and daddy asked me out on a date. My family knows the same version as well.

But, you'll get the authentic version.

Characters:
Southern Comfort
3 Guys who looked full of themselves
A drunken idiot
and
A midget

Background:
It was June 21, 1991 and I had just finished my Sophomore year in college. I had also come out of a painfully rocky two year relationship amongst the usual jerks I was used to dealing with, so I swore I'd quit boys and partying when I went back to school in September and concentrate strictly on my studies. I was ready to go pure nerd.

The Story:

My college suite mate and I lived close by in neighboring towns and she invited me to go out with her and some friends. I agreed to go out with them. A friend of a friend knew the owner of a bar in Port Jervis, NY and could get us in without I.D.

At 20 years old, I wasn't about to pass up an opportunity to get into a bar without I.D.!!

On my way to meet her, I got this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. It wasn't butterflies, but very close to that feeling. My intuition told me that one of the most important things would happen to me that night, but I couldn't tell if it would be a good thing or a bad thing. I put the thought away and kept driving.

Fast forward to the bar:

We came in through the back entrance and sat at the closest available table. The owner told us if he saw us anywhere else in the bar, he'd kick us out. He was nervous about letting a bunch of underage girls into his bar. Who knows what the hell kind of trouble we'd deliver to his place.

My friend and I were slamming a shot of Southern Comfort when I noticed 3 guys walking into the bar.

I immediately thought to myself "Who the HELL do they think THEY are? Them and their muscle shirts. Puhleeze." So I turned my attention away from them and returned to drinking a rum and Coke sitting in front of me.

As I sat sipping, I saw one of my friends talking to a midget (who returns in the second part of the story). He was all up in her chest trying to convince her that big things come in small packages. She was amused, but not willing to hook up with him. I didn't even try to rescue her. It was just too amusing.

I sat there continuing to sip on my rum and Coke when I noticed one of the muscle shirt guys looking at me. I was given another shot of Southern Comfort and knocked it back. I glanced over at him again and saw him still looking, this time smiling. I thought he was kind of cute, but because of the shots and my rum and Coke, I had to make sure.

"A, see that guy over there?.... Do you think he's cute?"

"Yeah, he's cute."

"Oh yeah, he's totally cute", said another friend who caught on to what we were talking about.

I looked away. I wasn't interested in boys anymore.

I looked over at him again anyway and he smiled. I smiled back...and looked away. I told myself that I'm not making any moves. If he's so interested, he'd have to do all the work.

Another friend had to go to the bathroom, so I got up out of the booth to let her out. Before I could sit back down, a drunken idiot came over and asked if I wanted to go to a party with him. I told him I came here with friends and didn't want to leave without them. He kept badgering me telling me he'd take me to the party and then back to the bar again so that I could go home with my friends.

As he continued badgering me, I looked over at the muscle shirt guy who was watching the exchange.

I thought to myself, "If he doesn't come over now and help me out, he's shit out of luck."

to be continued.....

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home